Comparing van breakdown cover
Whether it’s a business-critical asset or simply your pride and joy, cover your van against breakdowns.
How to get great-value van breakdown cover
To get great-value van breakdown cover, you should:
- Decide if you want insurance for yourself, your vehicle or multiple vehicles
- Choose a level of cover – typically, roadside assistance offers the most basic protection
- Shop around, comparing deals from a range of van breakdown providers
- Be sure to understand any policy limitations and exclusions before buying a policy
Frequently asked questions
Why choose van breakdown cover?
Aside from missed deliveries, lost work opportunities and getting behind on your schedule, van breakdowns come with all the same problems as a car or motorbike breakdown – you’re stranded without transport and you’ve got to find a way to get yourself on the move or your vehicle home..
Fortunately, it’s simple to compare quotes online and insure your van against breakdowns in a few clicks.
What are the options?
As with car breakdown cover, you can choose from a range of cover levels, from basic roadside help to onward journey cover that gets you where you need to go. When weighing up your options, think about how far you travel and how often you use your van.
- Roadside assistance: If you tend to work and travel locally, this could be the option for you. A recovery vehicle will come out to you and try to repair your van at the roadside. If that’s not possible, you’ll usually get a tow to the nearest garage or to your home.
You’ll need to check the details of the policy to understand exactly what’s covered. It’s also worth checking whether the cost of parts is included.
- National coverage: As well as roadside repairs, this type of cover includes getting you and your van to any destination in the UK. It may suit you if your business or lifestyle takes you further afield on a regular basis.
- European breakdown cover: Extends your cover to the continent. Some insurers include or exclude certain countries from their European cover, so check the policy details before setting off on your trip.
- Home start: If your van won’t start before you’ve even left the driveway, or it gives up the ghost close to home, a recovery van will come to you within a quarter mile radius of your home address. (This distance varies by provider.)
- Onward journey cover: At this level, you will be insured for the cost of continuing your journey after a breakdown. This could include staying in a hotel for the night while your van is being fixed, or hiring a van while yours is being repaired.
Should you cover yourself or your vehicle?
Whichever type of cover you choose, you’ll have the option to cover yourself (personal cover) or your vehicle. Some policies also offer multiple vehicle cover, which could include a combination of cars, vans and motorbikes at the same address.
To help you select your options, take a look at our handy table:
|Where do you want cover for?||What do you want to cover?||What type of cover do you want?|
More than one vehicle
What happens if I don’t have breakdown cover?
If you don’t have breakdown cover and things go wrong, you might need to call around to find a willing friend or local garage to collect you. This could involve paying the garage a fee and you might have to find alternative transport to continue your journey.
How do I know I need van breakdown rather than a car?
Look in your log book and find the section on vehicle category or vehicle type approval, this will give you a letter and a number. If it is M1 it's a car. If it is N1 or N2 it's a van. If you have any doubts or questions double-check with the breakdown provider.
What policy limitations should I look out for?
Policy limitations and exclusions apply to all types of cover, and they vary by provider. If your van’s a big one, check whether vehicles over a certain height and weight are covered. Most providers will help change a wheel and help you with misfuelling issues, but check to see if it is included or excluded. If you use your van for towing a trailer, then check that is covered too.
Compare van breakdown deals
We can help you compare multiple breakdown cover deals on one easy-to-read page. You’ll see the policies listed with the cheapest first, and an at-a-glance guide to the main benefits of each, including any cashback or discounts.
When you’ve chosen the most suitable breakdown cover for you, just follow the link to the provider’s website to get your deal.