Compare moped & scooter insurance

Get a whole year of Meerkat Meals & Meerkat Movies*

Comparing moped and scooter insurance

Riding is a way of life. So whether you're Lambretta or Vespa – we don't pick sides – we're here to help you get the best insurance policy.

Mods made scooters cool in the 60s and the two-wheeled phenomenon is still going strong. These 50cc bikes are the perfect intro to driving at 16, or for beating the traffic on the morning commute.

Related Articles

New bikers guide

Which motorbike cover is right for me?

Insurance for young drivers

What affects the costs of motorbike insurance?

Frequently asked questions

Moped or scooter – what’s the difference?

The big difference between mopeds and scooters is the engine size and speed. Mopeds have an engine size up to 50cc and a top speed of 45mph. Scooter engine sizes vary from 50cc to 150cc, so can go much faster.

There's been a shift from mopeds to scooters over the years, according to Department of Transport stats. In 1994 there were 1.3m mopeds but by 2017 this had gone down to 74,400. But the scooter category climbed from 1.9m to 2.75m.

Is there a difference between moped and scooter insurance?

Mopeds are generally cheaper than scooters to insure because they have a smaller engine and slower speed. This makes them less of a risk on the roads, so insurance prices may be slightly lower.

Does the type of licence I have affect my insurance cost?

As long as you're over 16 and have passed Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you can ride a moped up to 50cc with L plates for as long as you like on a provisional licence. You'll be able to get motorbike insurance and even rack up years of no-claims discounts.

But you'll probably get a better insurance price if you get an AM, A1 or A2 licence by passing your theory and practical tests. The AM licence will allow you to ride a moped without L Plates at a maximum speed 28mph.

Scooter riders usually have an A1 licence – which lets you ride scooters or motorbikes up to 125cc and is sometimes described as a light motorcycle. You must be 17 to get an A1 licence.

An A2 licence is a standard motorcycle licence and you need to be aged 19 and is needed for bikes of at least 395cc with an engine power of between 20-35kW.

Insurance providers look at how competent you are, and having a full licence shows that you've been officially recognised as a skilled rider.

What else can lower my insurance premium?

There are a few things you could do that might make your policy cheaper:

  1. fit an approved security device to your moped or scooter – but check with the provider first as the cost of the device might outweigh the discount in premium
  2. park it in a locked garage
  3. increase your voluntary excess – this is what you'll pay if you make a claim so make sure you can afford it

Check the price for each level of cover, third party, third party fire and theft, and fully comprehensive. It's worth it because fully comprehensive can sometimes be the cheapest.

Make sure you're as accurate as possible when telling us the current market price of your moped or scooter – if it's wrong, you'll be underinsured and won't be covered for the full value of your bike. Make sure you understand all the details of your insurance before you buy so that you have the right cover in place.