Extreme Sports Travel Insurance

Get a whole year of Meerkat Meals & Meerkat Movies*

Extreme sports travel insurance: a simple guide

If you’re an adrenaline junkie, chances are your holiday will include the kind of high action, sports activities you enjoy.  

But when it comes to travel insurance, standard policies only cover low risk activities.

So, if you’re planning an adventurous high-thrills holiday, you may need some extra cover to give you the protection you need.

Frequently asked questions

In insurance terms, what is considered an extreme sport?

Each insurance provider has their own terms and will have different classifications for which sports are classed as extreme. So, it’s important to check your cover details before buying your insurance to make sure your chosen activity is covered. 

Most would agree that many high-adrenaline activities, such as bungee jumping, white water rafting, rock climbing, sky diving and hand gliding, are risky.  

However, for insurance purposes there are other activities that some providers consider ‘extreme’. For example:

  • swimming with dolphins
  • horse riding
  • inflatable banana rides

Some sports even have their own specialist cover such as:

Whatever travel insurance policy you choose, check it carefully for the listed activities that are included and those that are excluded. If your sport isn’t covered under the policy, you need to ask your insurance provider if they can add it or find a specialist insurance provider who offers the level of cover you need.  

In the case of winter-related sports, injury costs can be as high as £90,000. Yet, according to ABTA, up to a third of people don’t check their travel insurance to see if they’re covered before venturing up the mountain. 

What if I don’t know what activities I’ll be doing yet?

If you buy your insurance through you travel provider, they are duty bound to offer you a policy that’s appropriate for the holiday you’re going on. 

But what if you decide to do something spontaneous while you’re away?

A good thing to do is take your policy document with you on your holiday. That way if you want to do something on-the-spot, you can check whether the activity is on the list. If it’s not covered, give your insurance provider a call to see if it can be added.

Do I need travel insurance if I have an EHIC card?

Yes, it’s recommended that you have both an EHIC card and separate travel insurance in place before travelling to another EU country.  

Find out more about the European Health Insurance card. 

Can I get extreme sports travel insurance if I have a health condition?

It is possible to get extreme sports travel insurance if you have a pre-existing medical condition, however you may need to find a specialist insurance provider, and for some pre-existing conditions your insurance may be more expensive. 

It’s important to tell your insurance provider about any pre-existing medical conditions and give them all the information they need, otherwise your policy may be invalid if you need to make a claim.

Where can I get extreme sports travel insurance?

Our comparison service is a quick and easy way to find the right insurance policy to suit your needs. 

Once we’ve created a list of insurance providers, check each policy to ensure your extreme sport or adventure activity is covered. If your chosen activity isn’t on the list, you may need to call the insurance provider to see if they will extend the policy to cover your needs. 

Compare extreme sports travel insurance today and find the right policy for you, so you can enjoy your action-packed trip with the peace of mind that you’re covered.