Should I get insurance for my pickup van?
There are currently 3.9 million licensed vans and pickups on UK roads. If you own one of them, you’re probably wondering if and how to ensure that your open-backed beauty is covered in the event of an accident, a fire or theft. This is our guide on what you need to know.
Frequently asked questions
What are the types of pickup van insurance?
As with any motor insurance – pickup van insurance has 3 different cover levels: third party only, third party fire and theft, and comprehensive insurance:
- by law, you'll need at least third party cover, which would pay for any damage that you may cause to someone else’s property and any injury they may sustain in an accident, but nothing to repair the damage to your own vehicle
- third party, fire and theft cover provides the same cover as third party only insurance, with additional cover in the event that your van is damaged by fire, or stolen
- comprehensive insurance offers all of the above, along with cover for your pickup and the cost of its repairs, in the event of an accident
Do I need special van insurance if I use my pickup van for business?
You will need to add 'Business Use' to your van insurance, even if you only use your pickup for business every once in a while, as failing to inform your insurance provider could invalidate any claim you make.
Will insurance cover what I’m carrying in my pickup?
There are two options available if you use your van to carry business-related goods:
- Carriage of your own goods when you’re carrying goods that you own to complete your daily work, such as tradesmen’s tools.
- Haulage - where you’re paid to carry goods owned by a third party, such as courier services.
With an open-backed pickup, you mustn't leave items in the vehicle unattended whenever it’s parked, as your insurance provider is unlikely to pay out for any claims for theft. And items shouldn’t be left in the vehicle overnight. Check the policy details to ensure you’re covered sufficiently before purchasing.
Is comprehensive pickup van insurance expensive?
The insurance premiums for fully comprehensive cover aren’t always more expensive than third party only and third party fire and theft options – this is why it’s so important to compare pickup van insurance quotes before signing on that dotted line.
50% of people could achieve a quote of £603 per year for their van insurance based on Compare the Market data in November 2018.
Do I need any other cover for my pickup van?
You might also want to consider pickup van breakdown cover for added peace of mind. No one wants to be stuck at the side of the road, especially when you have a job to get to.
How do I get affordable pickup van insurance?
You can rely on Compare the Market to help you pick up the right cover for your pickup van – and at the right price. With just a few clicks, we’ll search a variety of different insurance providers and present you with a range of quotes that meet your needs. From there, it’s all up to you to choose the policy that fits what you’re looking for. Compare van insurance today.