Insurance for Carpenters and Joiners

Whether you’re working on a 2nd fix or fitting skirting boards and architraves, we can get you the right level of cover for your carpentry and joinery business.

What insurance might you need?

If your carpentry business involves manufacturing products, as well as fitting them you might want to consider a policy that covers your premises, equipment and staff. Also if you employ staff you will need to have employer’s liability cover which is required by law.

Insurance for Carpenters and Joiners

Public Liability Insurance

If your business is focused on day to day fitting and joinery work at a client premises you should probably consider public liability cover.

Having Public liability cover means you are protected should you, in the course of carrying out your work, cause injury to a member of the public, another employee or be accused of not completing work to a satisfactory standard. Liability insurance also covers you for accidental damage that you cause to other people’s property whilst carrying out your work. For example, if a member of the public trips over some of your equipment while you're working, or if you knock over an item of value while working in a customer's home, then public liability insurance will help cover the legal fees should the member of public wish to make a claim against you. It will also cover you for any compensation should you need to pay out.

How much public liability insurance do I need?

Typically people opt for a limit of about £2million for public liability but you may require more depending on the type of carpentry work you complete. Some policies will even cover up to £10million should you need it.

how much public liability insurance do I need?

Tools Cover

You will probably own tools which are vital to your business such as saws, drills or jigsaws – basically anything that is portable.  Some policies will offer up to£5,000 cover for tools and further cover for plant & heavy machinery. 

Remember your tools will often not be covered if you leave them in your van overnight. It’s worth making sure you tools are locked up safely at night or when you are not using them, such as a lockable garage or workshop or making sure you have the right level of cover if this is not possible.

Employers Liability

If you employee staff, you must have employers liability cover by law.

Employer’s liability insurance protects you against claims if your employees become injured or ill as a result of their employment – whether it happens on or off site. Beware that even former employees could make a claim against you as a result of work they carried out under your employment. 

Further tips to protect you and your business;

  • Although tempting at times avoid leaving your tools unattended, such as on a client’s front driveway.  You may have to keep going in and out the property to cut large pieces of material but unattended tools can tempt thieves, so remain vigilant and make sure they are always in sight.
  • This may sound obvious but remove your shoes or put on shoe covers to protect your clients flooring.    Also put protective covers down particularly if you are using chemicals or varnishes.  Often public liability claims arise from clients claiming damage to their carpets or flooring which can often be avoided.
  • If you employ staff then offering proper training and regular risk assessments are some ways you can reduce the risk of injury.
  • Get the right cover!   Make sure you are properly protected with our public liability insurance.   Remember we have specialist advisors available over the phone ready to help you with any questions you may have. 

Use our public liability comparison services to find the right deal for you. Protect your business with liability insurance. Compare with us today.