Compare Catering Insurance

The catering industry is made up of a whole range of companies large and small, each providing the customer with food when and where they want it.

As a business though, catering is exposed to a large number of risks that you, as a business owner, would be well advised to protect against. If you or a member of your staff cause personal injury or damage to property or a customer alleges they have been made seriously ill with your food, then having the right business insurance in place could save you a great deal of time and money.

What insurance might you need?

Clearly catering companies are all different. Some have static premises, some travel around from place to place. Still others are focused on the hospitality industry, supplying weddings and parties for example. Some catering businesses may be licenced, the other ones – unlicensed.

The risks catering businesses face are different in the detail, but at a high level we can generalise what threats you might face. To start with, there are two types of liability insurance for you to consider, which could protect you from certain situations.

Compare Catering Insurance

Public Liability Insurance

Having access to the same premises as the public, be it an eating area, your marquee, or just some free standing plastic chairs and tables, means you should think about public liability insurance.

It can help protect you against compensation costs and legal fees, which you could be required to pay if a member of the general public suffered an injury or accidental damage to their property due to your negligence at work.

For example, you were asked to cater at a wedding and were carrying a hot plate with food to be served. Suddenly you tripped over a chair, lost your balance and dropped the hot plate. All of its content accidentally landed on guests seating nearby. They got burned and had to be taken to a hospital. As a result you could be facing not only a wrath from newlyweds’ and their families but also hefty compensation costs for injuring the guests and ruining the special day.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

The second type of liability policy is employers’ liability insurance. This is a compulsory form of insurance for anyone that employs staff, including temporary, seasonal and contract workers as well as students and interns. It could cover you against claims made by your employees which resulted from an injury or illness they suffered because of work they carried out under your employment.

What should you do?

Your first consideration should always be to try and limit problems in the first place. We know this sounds obvious but we also know that mistakes do happen.

Catering is a heavily regulated industry so it’s important to ensure that you understand the relevant regulations applicable for your business. You must then ensure that you and your staff are trained and comply with the regulations, and that you can demonstrate this to any inspectors. Carry out full risk assessments of all business activities and processes to ensure that potential risks are identified, considered, controlled or otherwise eliminated, creating safe working conditions and business environment.

Finally, get that insurance in place. Having the right cover might not cost you the earth.  Instead it could provide you with much-needed peace of mind so that you can focus on the job and your customers.

Compare prices and get insurance

Finding competitive liability insurance isn’t complicated. In fact, you can do it right here, right now. Use our public liability or employers’ liability comparison services to find the right deal for you. Help protect your business with liability insurance. Compare with us today.

Looking for a Quote?

Get a business insurance quote in seconds and start saving

Get a quote