Public Liability Insurance for Chefs

If you are working independently as a chef, you’ll enjoy the pleasure you bring to many people through your cooking skills.


If things go wrong however, your finances as well as your reputation could be left in tatters. With food poisoning treated as a ‘personal injury’, you could be open to claims against you.


That’s where having the right liability insurance in place comes in.

What insurance do chefs need?

First up, there are three types of liability insurance that you should consider most of all. 

Public Liability Insurance for Chefs

Public and Products Liability Insurance

The first, and one of the most important types of insurance to get in place is public liability insurance (PLI or PL insurance). This type of cover can protect you from the cost of defending compensation claims arising from allegations of disease, accidental bodily injury or damage to property made against you by your customers or other members of the public due to your negligence. PL insurance can be combined with products liability, which could cover you against claims arising from using and serving defective food and drink products.

All chefs take hygiene and food regulations very seriously, but sometimes things can go wrong or mistakes can be made. A serious food poisoning, as a result of a dish you prepared, could lead to you being sued for bodily injury and – in some cases – even a loss of earnings. For example, if the customer was a tradesman that fell ill because of the food you served and he was unable to work on a big project and lost future income.

Whether you’re to blame or not, you will still need to defend the claim made against you and legal bills add up fast. Additionally, if the damages claim went against you, you could be saddled with a very expensive compensation claim.

Public and products liability insurance could cover the costs of legal action in addition to potential compensation claim that you had to pay.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

Another type of liability insurance for you to consider is employers’ liability insurance. This is a compulsory form of insurance if you employ staff – even temporary or agency workers. It can protect you against claims should your kitchen personnel or waiters hurt themselves or become ill due to work they carried out while under your employment.

employers liability insurance

What should you do?

The first step should always be to try and limit problems in the first place. We know this sounds obvious and mistakes and accidents can happen. That said, there are some things you can do to help reduce the risk of a claim and legal action.

As a chef you appreciate the need to follow strict food hygiene guidelines at all times and to act on any observations by instructors. Communicating your standards to all staff working for you is key.

Make sure you take out relevant insurance to protect your business at all times.

How can I compare insurance for chefs?

Finding competitive liability insurance isn’t complicated. In fact, you can do it right here, right now. Use our public liability or employers’ liability comparison services
to find the right deal for you Protect your business with tailored liability insurance. Compare with us today.

Looking for a Quote?

Get a business insurance quote in seconds and start saving

Get a quote