Business insurance for party planners

When you’re a professional party planner, it’s more than just putting a few balloons together. It’s about making sure you’re covered for any event – even the ones that don’t go to plan. But you can get some peace of mind by ensuring you’ve got adequate protection.

Do I need insurance as a party planner?

Firstly, whether you personally need insurance will depend if you are self-employed or employed by a company. If you’re employed by someone it’s worth reviewing the cover that they have in place first to see if it provides enough protection.

If you work for yourself, in general there are three types of liability insurance for you to think about.

Business insurance for party planners

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance means that your legal fees and compensation costs would be covered should your client or a member of the public make a claim against you because they suffered accidental damage to their property or injury caused by your negligence at work.

Even if you’re a meticulous planner, you can’t plan for accidents. All it takes is someone to trip over cables that your employees have left lying around or slip on a liquid you accidentally spilled and break a wrist for a claim against you to be made. Without public liability cover, you’d be expected to deal with the consequences out of your own pocket – an expense that could irreparably damage your finances and your business.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

If you employ anyone, even students and trainees, you’ll need employers’ liability insurance. Your employers’ liability cover will provide staff with compensation if they become ill or are injured because of work they carried out under your employment. You are required by law to display a copy of your Employer’s Liability Certificate of Insurance where your employees can easily read it. Failure to display the certificate can result a fine of £1000 from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE). Failure to have Employer’s Liability insurance could lead to a fine of up to £2,500 for every day you don't have this insurance in place.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Also consider professional indemnity insurance – this covers the cost of claims made because of your negligent services or advice that has resulted in loss or damage to a client. For example, an assistant of yours might accidently double book a venue meaning one party has to find an alternative – your client would be within their rights to make a claim for negligence against you for failing to check the booking.

professional idemnity insurance for party planners

What else might I consider?

If you work from a business premises and keep samples or party props onsite, then you may want to make sure you’ve got appropriate buildings and contents cover to protect your business from an insurable event, such as theft. Not having insurance in place could mean losing what you’ve built up over time and if you’ve still got events in the diary, you may want to ensure you’d be able to continue working without further interruptions.

If you’re transporting party items or equipment around in a van, check whether your van insurance is sufficient for your needs too. Your cover should be tailored to your mileage and a vehicle you use to travel around for business. Not being upfront and declaring relevant information could lead to your policy being invalidated.

How much will it cost me?

Insurance premiums are based on multiple factors such as how much cover you want, the size and nature of your business and your claims history. Policy prices may vary, but remember you should choose a policy that meets your needs rather than simply is the cheapest option.

Searching for the right insurance

Finding competitive liability insurance isn’t complicated. In fact, you can do it right here, right now. Use our public liability or employers’ liability comparison services or professional indemnity call back form to find the right deal for you and your business.