What skills and attitudes to do you need to pass your test?
Good driving isn’t simply about learning the rules of the road, it’s about your skills as a driver and your attitude towards other road users.
- To show responsibility, your and others' lives depend on it.
- To be able to concentrate on what you’re doing and what’s around you.
- To anticipate what might happen around you.
- To show patience and courtesy to other road users.
- To have confidence in your own abilities.
- Yes sorry, you will need to learn the rules of the road too!
What happens in that first lesson?
It’s fine to be nervous, everyone is. You’ll soon get used to things. Usually the first lesson will be spent on very quiet roads learning the basics of the cars' operation and giving you a chance to get the feel for it. You’ll learn how to start the car, the operation of the gears and pedals and other important instruments. Obviously, if you already know the basics tell your instructor and they’ll assess where you’re already at and adjust the lesson accordingly.
Last but not least, good luck from us. It’s an exciting venture that you’re embarking on, one you won’t regret.