What is the legal expense cover for?
If you’re involved in a driving incident and need to make a claim, or if another driver makes a claim against you, legal bills could begin to rack up quite quickly. Be aware that you could end up receiving a smaller amount than the amount required to defend yourself if someone is pursuing you for compensation.
Legal expenses cover is an additional protection which could help in these situations and would cover uninsured losses such as:
- Medical expenses for you and any passengers
- Reasonable travel expenses, such as to and from hospital
- Loss of earnings if you’re unable to go to work
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as phone calls or taxi costs
- The costs of pursuing compensation
- Cover the excess you may have to pay after a crash that was not your fault.
Before you rush out to grab cover it’s worth considering a few points. First of all, there is no guarantee that your claim will be accepted in the first place. You’ll only be allowed to make a claim in the situation where it is completely clear who was to blame for the accident and where your insurer is pretty clear that you’re likely to win.
Your insurer may also decline to back your claim if they feel the amount being contested is too small to warrant legal proceedings and the associated costs.
Legal cover generally doesn’t cover you for a number of items shown below.