Classic cars aren’t just old bangers…or are they? Seeing as there’s no set definition of what a classic car really is, it’s ultimately a question of ‘what’s in the eye of the beholder’. So, if your next-door neighbour has a 40-year-old rust bucket propped up on bricks then technically, they’re right in claiming ‘it’s a classic’.
But whether you’re an automobile aficionado or not, for most of us, a good old classic car show is a highlight and there’s a host of events up and down the country this summer. If you’ve never been to one before, don’t worry, they aren’t all geeky get-togethers with classic car clubs taking out their manuals for comparison – there’s something for everyone. So, whether you’re a dedicated car devotee, just like looking at old stuff, or simply want a fun day out with the family, there’ll be a car fest for you – here are just a few.
- Chiltern Hills Rally, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire – 21 May 2017
- Porsches on the Prom, Llandudno, Wales – 21 May 2017
- Festival of Transport at the British Motor Museum, Gaydon, Warwickshire – 28 May 2017
- The Dunsford Collection Land Rover Show, Alford, Surrey – 10/11 June 2017
- Raby Castle Classic Car and Bike Event, Staindrop, Darlington – 18 June 2017
- Flywheel Festival, Bicester, Oxfordshire – 24/25 June 2017
- The Donkey Sanctuary Car Show, Sidmouth, Devon – 2 July 2017
- Hevingham Hall Concours d’Elegance, Heveningham, Suffolk – 7/8/9 July 2017
And if you intend on taking along your very own antique auto, then make sure you’ve got the right cover – because they don’t make them like they used to (but perhaps that’s the point).