So what can I do to lower my car insurance?
Whether you’re a first time or mature student, car insurance is just one of those things you need to suck up. You can’t steer away from it, it’s a legal requirement and you need it to drive any vehicle – enough said.
But that’s not to say that you have to put up with gargantuan insurance premiums, here are some top tips to get that premium down:
- Choose your car carefully – no one likes a show off and the same goes for flash cars, the more powerful it is (and more desirable to thieves), the more likely it is to be in a higher insurance group and cost you more to cover, so choose wisely.
- Avoid pimping your ride – you might be the life and soul but your car is better off as a wallflower. The more unique you make it, the harder repairs and parts might be to find and your premium may increase as a result.
- But do invest in some security – pimping’s one thing, enhancing your car is quite another, adding an approved security system or immobiliser could deter thieves and may shave some pounds off your policy.
- Be honest and accurate – state your mileage as accurately as you can, rounding up might mean you’re bumped into the next price bracket. Also, don’t be tempted to ‘bend’ the truth. It might be tempting to get lower insurance by saying your address is elsewhere (like your parent’s house) but if you really live at uni most of the time, you could be invalidating your policy (which’ll cost you a lot more in the long run).
- Telematics – if you fancy taking the techy route to lowering premiums, try this. It’s a small ‘black box’ that records how and when you drive. If you drive like your instructor showed you then you could see your premium reduced more quickly than if you took the traditional method of building up your no claims.
But you know, there is one thing you can do right now that could lower your car insurance premium, and that’s to comparethemarket We’re the largest comparison site in the UK and with over one hundred trusted car insurance providers we’ll try to find you the right deal at a price you won’t cry at.