What to do if you can’t afford to top up your prepayment meter
If you don’t have the cash to top up your prepayment meter, there are a few things you can do:
- Call your energy supplier and ask for temporary extra credit
You’ll need to pay this back, but it can help if you have short-term money problems.
- Ask your energy supplier to reduce your payments
If you’re already repaying a debt to your energy supplier, ask if they’re able to reduce your weekly payments.
- See if you have the right to refuse a prepayment meter
If you have an illness or disability, your energy supplier will have to replace your prepayment meter with one that charges you for energy after you’ve used it, not before. Your energy supplier has to take into account your situation, so it’s definitely worth telling them if you:
- are a pensioner
- have a disability or long-term illness
- live with young children
- owe money on rent, or have other financial issues.