Home insurance

Save up to £74** on your home insurance & get 2 for 1
cinema tickets*


Save up to £74** on your home insurance & get 2 for 1
cinema tickets*

Welcome back
Your lowest price for home insurance was Update your previous quote
An image of Oleg

Existing customers also get a Limited Editions Oleg as BB-8 toy*

Only when you buy a qualifying product from 11th December 2017.

Baby Oleg as BB-8 toy
**Based on online independent research by Consumer Intelligence from 01 August 2017 to 31 August 2017. 50% of  home insurance consumers could achieve a saving of up to £73.91 on their Buildings and Contents insurance premium with comparethemarket.com.

Compare cheap home insurance quotes

What is home insurance?

Home insurance covers the building that you live in plus your possessions inside it.

There are two types of home insurance. Buildings insurance covers the structure of your home as well as any permanent fixtures and fittings, such as your kitchen and bathroom. Contents insurance protects your belongings within your home.

You can buy buildings insurance and contents insurance separately, or together from the same provider, which can be more economical.

What does home insurance cover?

Home insurance will protect your home and your possessions inside it against theft and damage due to:





- Burst pipes, water leaks or electrical fires (check your policy to see is these are definitely covered)

What’s the difference between building and contents insurance?

Buildings insurance covers the physical structure of a property, which includes the roof, walls, ceilings, floors, doors and windows. It also includes any permanent fixtures and fittings, such as your bathroom, kitchen and fitted wardrobes. Outside structures, like fences, garages and sheds are usually covered too, as are pipes, cables and drains connected to your home (provided they’re your legal responsibility).

Contents insurance covers anything within your home that you can remove and take with you to another property, so possessions such as your clothes, furniture, fridge and television. Just be aware that there are some exceptions to this rule, including carpets, so always check what’s included within the definition of ‘contents’ in your policy booklet.

What type of home insurance do I need?

Buildings insurance

If you own your home and have a mortgage, then your lender will usually insist you have buildings insurance in place for the length of your mortgage. And although there’s no legal requirement to have buildings insurance if you don’t have a mortgage, consider the amount you might need to pay out to repair your home if you don’t have cover in place. If you’re renting, then buildings insurance is usually the responsibility of your landlord.

Contents insurance

You’re not legally obliged to have contents insurance, but if you own or rent your home it’s a good idea in case something unexpected happens – for example, you have a fire or your home is burgled.

Landlord insurance

Landlord insurance can include buildings insurance to cover a property that you own and rent out. You can also take out contents insurance to cover your belongings if you rent out a furnished property.

Holiday home insurance

Just like home insurance for a regular home, holiday home insurance is split into buildings and contents insurance. However, it could be more expensive as insurance providers often consider holiday homes to be a greater risk to insure as they’re often left unoccupied for long periods, and problems, such as a burst pipe, might go undetected, leading to considerable damage.

Got some questions about home insurance? Our Home insurance FAQs and Home insurance glossary should give you the answers you’re looking for.

How much is home insurance?

We found that 50% of people could achieve a home insurance premium of £122.10*** but you could insure your home for as little as £66.30****. The easiest way to find the right level on home insurance for you at a price you can afford is to use  home insurance comparison service.

How to save money on home insurance to get a better deal

We’re always looking for ways to cut the cost of insurance. Here are our four top tips that could help you save money on your home insurance:

Check you have the right amount of home insurance

When you take out buildings insurance, make sure it’s based on the cost of rebuilding your home, rather than the market value of your home (the rebuild cost is likely to be a lot less than the market value). If you don’t know what the rebuild value of your house is, we’ll help you to work it out when you start a quote with us.

When you take out contents insurance, try to be accurate when you work out the total value of your possessions. If you overestimate, you could end up paying for more insurance then you need. Read our guide on how to estimate the value of your home contents for more information. If you start a quote with us, you can also use our contents calculator to help you work out the total value.

Increase your voluntary excess 

Home insurance excess is usually made up of a compulsory excess and a voluntary excess; voluntary excess is the amount that you choose to pay on top of the compulsory excess. Increasing the amount you choose to pay can help to reduce your home insurance premium, but you’ll need to be able afford both the compulsory and your chosen amount of voluntary excess if you make a claim.

Consider installing a security system

Your home insurance provider might lower your home insurance premium if you fit an appropriate security system. Find out more in our guide Are security systems worth it and can they reduce my insurance?

Build up a no claims discount

If you don’t make a claim on your home insurance, you could receive a reduction in the following year’s premium when you come to renew it – this is known as a no claims discount. Check out our guide How do no claims discounts work for home insurance? for more information.

You’ll find more cost-cutting ideas in our guide How to save money on your home insurance.

Can smart home devices save me money on my home insurance?

In theory, if you install smart technology in your home, you could reduce the risk of being burgled or your home being damaged or destroyed by fire, for example. In turn, this could cut the cost of your home insurance premium.

There’s a range of smart technologies currently on the market, such as security systems, heating devices (which could help protect against the risk of pipes freezing and bursting in winter), fire alarms and water detection systems.

If you’re considering installing any smart technology, always check with your insurance provider first as to how it could affect your home insurance premium.

What do I need to get a quote?

When you start a home insurance quote with us, we’ll ask you questions to make sure we have all the information we need to provide you with a list of suitable quotes, which will also show you optional extras you might want to consider, such as accidental damage. It’s a good idea to have your current home insurance policy documents to hand as these will help you to answer some of the questions.

All set? Start your home insurance quote now.

***50% of people could achieve a quote of £122.10 for a combined buildings and contents Home insurance policy based on comparethemarket.com data in August 2017.

****10% of people could achieve a quote of £66.30 for a combined buildings and contents  home insurance policy based on comparethemarket.com data in August 2017.


Little Angels to Little Homewreckers


Your home may feel like a safe haven, however if you have kids you’ll know that the sky’s the limit when it comes to the mischief they can cause. Especially once they become mobile! From scribbling on the walls to breaking TVs, our latest research has shown that parents are being left with a hefty price to pay – our research of parents with kids aged 2-10 shows the average household suffers £252 of household damage every year. 

While it’s important to let your children have some freedom, you’ll also want to keep them safe, not to mention the valuable items around your home.

Of course, accidents will happen - and the school holidays are a prime time for the youngsters in your life to accidentally damage your home. That’s why it’s vital that parents ensure their contents insurance is up to date and covers them for all eventualities, such as accidental damage.

Check out our guides for how to keep the kids out of trouble and harm’s way in the school holidays…

Childproof homes
A guide to moving away to university

The ultimate guide to student contents insurance

If you’re moving away to study, we’re willing to bet that the last thing on your mind is
insurance. But if, like the average university student these days, you’re taking nearly £3,500
worth of belongings with you, then we reckon making sure you have sufficient home
contents insurance should be pretty high on your list of priorities.

cheap home insurance provider comparison

Home Insurance Providers

We compare over 60 of the UK’s home insurance providers to help you get the best possible quote. We’ve compiled this home insurance provider hub to help you compare UK home insurance providers’ individual policies to make sure you can find the policy that’s right for you. 

4.7 out of 5 Our customers rate us 4.7/5 based on 16825 customer reviews


Saved over £250 on building and contents well chuffed. Took less than 10 minutes to input the information and check. Excellent service and a free toy for the granddaughter.


First time user of Compare the market and what a result. For the same level of cover, I have just saved £35 per month. I will use this site for every renewal in future.


Service is great and can always find a better deal. But it’s a shame the rules keep changing regarding the toys

A simples guide to home insurance

comparethemarket.com - the easier way to save

Hello from the UK!

We want to make sure you get to the right place, and noticed you appear to be visiting us from Australia.

If you would prefer to visit our Australian site, please just follow the link below.

Go to our Australian site


Or, continue to our UK site