Skip to content
Sergei in foreground looking concerned while holding a tray and standing on a table while Carl the Wombat who has just caused a leak sits on couch and eats popcorn
Carl the Wombat who has just caused a leak sits on couch and eats popcorn Sergei in foreground looking concerned while holding a tray

Home insurance

Compare home insurance quotes and you could save £225^

  • Protect your home and belongings with the right home insurance
  • Plus, enjoy fantastic rewards, on us*

^ Based on online independent research by Consumer Intelligence during June 2024, 51% of customers could achieve this saving on their Buildings and Contents insurance through Compare the Market.

What do I need to get a home insurance quote?

When you start a home insurance comparison with us, it’s a good idea to have some basic information about your property, including:

Details about your property

Including the type of property (flat, semi-detached, terrace), roof type, year it was built and number of bedrooms.

The type of policy you want

Whether it’s combined building and contents, buildings only or contents only.

The rebuild value of your home

Find out how to calculate the rebuild cost of your home. With building materials and costs having increased recently, it’s a good idea to make sure your figure is up to date.

The total value of your home contents

You’ll need to list any high-value items worth more than £1,500 individually. Find out how to estimate the value of your home contents.

The level of cover you need

Including how much excess you want to pay and whether you want to add extra cover, such as accidental damage and home emergency cover. 

Your current home insurance policy documents

We’ll ask you questions to make sure we have all the information we need, including your personal details, to provide you with a list of suitable quotes.

Start a quote

We compare prices from 40 trusted providers[2], including:

Important Information

You may have seen news that on Friday 19 July 2024, there was a global IT outage. While was not affected by this, we understand that a small number of the providers that quote via Compare the Market were.

Given this, you may not have received quotes from as many providers as you usually would. We recommend that if you are still considering taking out a product or policy, that you quoted for on Friday 19 July 2024, you complete a new comparison.

If you have since purchased a product that you quoted for on Friday 19 July 2024, you may still be in your contracted cooling off period. Therefore, you may still wish to carry out a new comparison to see if there is a product or price better suited to you.

What is home insurance?

Home insurance (or house insurance) protects your home and its belongings. Depending on your policy, your home and possessions could be covered against damage or loss due to events like fire, flood, storms and theft.

Buildings insurance and contents insurance are the two types of home insurance. You can choose to buy them separately or combine them into one policy.

Do I need home insurance?

Having buildings and contents insurance could help cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home if it’s damaged by an insured event. It could also cover the cost of replacing the belongings in your home if they’re stolen, or repairing or replacing them if they’re damaged.

Those who might need home insurance include:


If you own your home, you’re responsible for insuring the building and your belongings inside it. If you have a mortgage, your mortgage provider might insist that you have buildings insurance in place for the length of your mortgage.

You can buy buildings insurance from any provider, not just your mortgage provider. If you’re lucky enough to own a second home, you’ll probably want to insure that too.


If you rent your home, your landlord is responsible for insuring the building, but there’s no legal requirement for them to do so. You might want to check that they have insurance in place before you move in.

However, you may want to consider protecting your personal belongings with rental contents insurance.

Find out more about rental contents insurance


Landlords are responsible for insuring the building they own and rent out. If you let a furnished property, you can also protect your belongings against damage or theft through a landlord policy.

Find out more about landlord insurance


If you’re a student living in halls of residence or shared accommodation, you might want to insure personal items like laptops and gadgets.

Your parents’ home insurance policy may already cover your personal items, but don’t assume this is the case. Ask your parents to check whether you’re covered by their policy, as well as any restrictions or limits listed in the policy wording.

Find out more about student contents insurance

Holiday homeowners

If you have a holiday home, you might need to take out specialist cover. You can compare holiday home insurance with us, but you’ll need to specify how many days a year the property will be empty.

Holiday home insurance can be more expensive than regular home insurance but could give you the protection you need.

Find out more about holiday home insurance

What type of home insurance do I need?

There are two types of cover available – buildings insurance and contents insurance. You can buy these separately or combine them into one home insurance policy from the same provider.

Most home insurance policies generally offer similar types of protection and come with common exclusions.

Buildings insurance

This could cover the cost of repairing damage to the structure of the property, including the roof and walls. It can also cover any permanent fixtures and fittings, such as windows, kitchen units and bathroom suites.

Homeowners and landlords will need this type of insurance.

Find out more about buildings insurance

Contents insurance

This could cover the possessions inside your home against damage or theft. It typically protects furniture, home appliances, clothes and carpets. It can also cover high-value items in the home, such as jewellery, expensive tech or antiques and collectibles.

Anyone with belongings they want to protect should consider this type of insurance.

Find out more about contents insurance

House and contents insurance

Combining buildings and contents insurance under one policy from the same provider could make it more convenient if you need to make a claim.

A combined buildings and contents insurance policy can often work out cheaper than taking out separate policies. But it’s always a good idea to compare house insurance quotes to make sure it’s the right option for you.

What does home insurance cover?

Home insurance covers sudden, unexpected and unforeseen events – such as fire, flood or storm. It won’t cover you for things that are predictable, like wear and tear.

What’s typically covered?

What’s typically not covered?

If you have a bicycle, check whether it’s covered. Cycles could be excluded, but you may be able to add cover for yours, particularly if you want to unsure it while it’s out of your home.

Always check the summary cover, limits and exclusions to help you make an informed decision before purchasing any insurance.

How much does home insurance cost?

The cost of home insurance depends on a number of factors. With buildings insurance, the price is calculated according to how much your house would cost to rebuild. It also considers other factors, such as your postcode.

With contents insurance, the value of your possessions and where you live are the main considerations. In both cases, whether you’ve made claims in the past will also be taken into account.

What’s the average home insurance cost in the UK?

Home insurance could cost less than:

Buildings and contents insurance could cost less than £226 per year. That’s £18.76 per month.[3]

Buildings insurance could cost less than £201 per year.[4]

Contents insurance could cost less than £65 per year.[5]

Start a quote

[3]51% of our customers were quoted less than £225.12 for their buildings and contents home insurance in June 2024..

[4]51% of our customers were quoted less than £200.92 for their buildings home insurance in June 2024..

[5]51% of our customers were quoted less than £64.98 for their contents home insurance in June 2024..

What is the cheapest homeowners’ insurance?

The cheapest home insurance for you will depend on your individual circumstances. But be careful when looking for cheap home insurance. A policy might be cheap because it doesn’t offer as much cover as other policies.

And don’t underestimate the value of your buildings or contents to save money as this could lead to you being underinsured. The pay-out you receive might not be enough to replace all your possessions or rebuild your property, forcing you to dig into your own pocket.

Automate your home insurance renewal quotes

Set up once and let us automatically search our panel for cheap home insurance quotes, ahead of renewal.

Get started

How can I get cheaper home insurance?

There’s a few simple steps you can take to try to reduce your home insurance costs.

1. Shop around

Don’t just auto renew your home insurance with the same provider. Every time your contents and/or buildings insurance policy comes up for renewal, run a new house insurance comparison on sites like Compare the Market. After all, even the best house insurance providers can raise their prices over time.

You may find another provider that can offer you a cheaper policy, but with the same level of cover.

2. Consider a combined policy

If you’re looking for value for money, the best home insurance for you could be a combined contents and buildings policy. If you get a combined policy, the provider might give you a discount.

Compare home insurance with us and you can get quotes for both individual and combined policies to see how they compare.

3. Boost security

Consider adding high-quality locks to your doors and windows, and installing a burglar alarm and smoke alarm.

If you have approved security and safety systems in place, your insurance provider might consider lowering your premium.

4. Avoid instalments

If you can afford it, paying your premium upfront in one go usually cuts the cost of home insurance. If you opt to pay in monthly instalments, you might be charged interest on top.

5. Increase the excess

If you’re willing to raise the amount you contribute towards a claim – the excess – you’ll usually pay a lower premium. But don’t opt to pay more excess than you can afford, should you need to claim.

6. Build up a no-claims discount

Arguably the best house insurance saving comes from a no-claims discount. If you don’t make a claim on your home insurance, you could be rewarded with a discount on your next premium.

Generally, the longer you go without claiming, the more you can save on your house insurance cost. And you’re likely to be able to carry over the discount if you switch to another insurance provider, so make sure to include this when you get a quote.

Why use Compare the Market?

We compare 90 leading provider products[6] from some of the best home insurance companies

Get a price in minutes

You could save £226[7] on your buildings and contents insurance by comparing through us

Start a quote

[6] Correct as of June 2024.

[7] Based on online independent research by Consumer Intelligence during June 2024, 51% of customers could achieve this saving on their Buildings and Contents insurance through Compare the Market.

Join thousands of Trustpilot reviewers who save with Compare the Market

As of July 1st 2024, Compare the Market had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 43,115 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’. Find out more

What factors affect the cost of home insurance?

Generally, the greater the risk of damage or loss involving your home, the higher your premiums are likely to be. Many factors can affect those risks and how much you’ll pay, including:

  • Property size – the rebuild costs of a larger property are likely to be higher than for a smaller home.
  • Property location – crime rates, area affluence and flood risk can all affect the cost of your insurance.
  • Property age – older homes often have features or use construction materials that are expensive to replace. They may also have outdated plumbing and electrical systems.
  • Home security – having a burglar alarm, high-quality door and window locks, and smoke detectors make you less risky in the eyes of insurance providers. Find out how to secure your home while you’re out
  • Building materials and roof type – properties built from non-typical materials and listed buildings can be more expensive to insure. A thatched roof or a flat roof can also be considered more of a risk for insurance.
  • Value of your possessions – the more valuable the items you want to cover, the more you’ll have to pay.
  • Policy add-ons – cover for accidental damage and home emergency cover won’t usually be included as standard. You may have to pay extra to add this cover to your policy.
  • Claims history – if you haven’t made any recent claims, you’ll often be rewarded with a no-claims discount.
Author image Anna McEntee

What our expert says...

“Household budgets are being squeezed from rising living costs and, with home insurance premiums on the rise, it’s vital that households look for savings wherever possible. With the difference in cost between the average and cheapest home insurance premium increasing, this means homeowners could make greater savings when switching ahead of renewal.

Shopping around online remains one of the best ways to cut the cost of insurance and households could save significantly if they switch to the cheapest motor and home insurance providers.”

- Anna McEntee, Insurance expert

What home insurance add-ons are available?

By paying a bit more, you can add optional extras to your policy to give you even more protection. You’ll want to keep your policy affordable though, so think carefully about what you need. Add-ons include:

Home emergency cover

Provides immediate help in an emergency situation if there’s a risk of further damage to the property or a risk to family members’ health and safety.  For example, a broken boiler in the winter or a leaking pipe.

Learn more about home emergency cover

Accidental damage cover

This could cover mishaps caused by you or your family that result in unforeseen damage. These could include spilling red wine on the carpet or putting your foot through the ceiling from the attic.

If you have a cat or dog, you might also want to think about getting accidental damage pet insurance.

Learn more about accidental damage cover

Personal possessions

This offers cover for items you carry outside the home, such as mobile phones, laptops and other gadgets, if they get lost or stolen.

Learn more about personal possessions cover

Legal expenses 

This will typically cover your legal costs and expenses if you get into a legal dispute with a tradesperson or neighbours. It’s sometimes included as standard on home insurance policies.

Learn more about legal expenses cover

Alternative accommodation

This is usually included as standard but, in some cases, you may have to add it to your policy.

It could cover you if your property becomes uninhabitable due to flooding, fire, subsidence or storm damage. Your insurance provider will pay for temporary accommodation, so you have a roof over your head in an emergency.

Learn more about alternative accommodation cover

What other types of household insurance are available?

A standard home insurance policy may not be right for everyone. Depending on your circumstances, you might need to consider these types of specialist home insurance:

  • Listed buildings insurance
    If you live in a building of special historical or architectural importance. Listed buildings can be expensive to repair because they’re usually made with less common materials and may need the expertise of specialist tradespeople.
  • Unoccupied property insurance
    You might need this if you’ve inherited a house, you’re taking an extended trip or you’re moving out while renovating. Most providers won’t insure properties that are left unoccupied for more than 30-60 days at a time.
  • Rental home insurance
    If you’re renting a property, you’ll need tenant’s insurance to cover your contents. It’s the landlord’s responsibility to have buildings insurance in place.
  • Landlord home insurance
    If you’re a landlord who rents out a property, you’ll need landlord home insurance to cover the building and your own contents. You should also consider rental protection, also known as rent guarantee insurance. This could protect you from periods of unoccupancy or tenants who can’t pay their rent.
  • Holiday home insurance
    If you own a second property as a holiday home, you’ll need a specialist home insurance policy to protect it both when you’re there and when you’re not.
  • Non-standard home insurance

    This can cover any home that doesn’t conform to regular standards – for example, if you’ve built your home from scratch. A country cottage with a thatched roof or a modern concrete-framed house will also be non-standard, for example. You might also need non-standard insurance if you or someone in your household has a criminal conviction.

  • Student home insurance
    If you’re off to uni and living away from home, you might want to think about getting student home insurance to cover your belongings while you’re away, including any expensive gadgets.
  • Temporary home insurance

    If you’ve moved out because your house is being renovated, or you’re taking an extended holiday or business trip, then consider taking out a temporary home insurance policy. This is because your standard home insurance may not cover these situations.

Compare home insurance

Compare home insurance in minutes to see if you can save.

Frequently asked questions

How can I claim on my home insurance policy?

Contact your insurance provider as soon as possible, with details of what happened and what damage has been done. If a crime has been committed, your first step should be to contact the police. You’ll need a crime report number for your insurance claim.

Most insurance providers have a 24/7 helpline. They’ll take you through the claims process and let you know what evidence and documents you need to support your claim.

Can I change my home insurance excess?

Yes, you can change the amount of voluntary home insurance excess you pay. By increasing the amount, your premiums are likely to be cheaper. But don’t set your voluntary excess too high – you’ll need to pay it alongside the compulsory excess if you make a claim.

Your insurance provider sets the compulsory excess and you can’t change it.

Do I get a credit check on a home insurance quote?

If you take out a home insurance policy, insurance providers will carry out a soft credit check before they offer you a quote. This is to make sure the information you’ve given about your address, age and so on is accurate. This shouldn’t affect your credit score.

Does my credit score affect home insurance?

Having a poor credit score may affect the cost of home insurance. But you should still be able to find an insurance provider with a policy and price that suits you.

Are valuables only protected inside the home?

For your valuables to be protected outside your home, you’ll need personal possessions cover.

Check your policy to see if this is included and add it as an extra if necessary.

Any items over the insurance provider’s single-item limit (individual possessions worth more than £1,500, for example) may need to be listed separately on your policy.

When would I need home insurance add-ons?

If you think your standard policy doesn’t give you enough cover in specific areas, you might want to add it on. For example, adding accidental damage will typically cover accidents like red wine spilled on a sofa.

Adding cover for personal possessions outside the home could cover items like your wallet or purse when you’re out and about.

Remember, adding extras will likely increase the cost of your insurance policy.

What kind of door locks do I have?

Only you can answer this. To be sure, you’ll need to compare and identify your door lock against the most common types.

Home insurance providers need to know which types of door lock you have, because some are considered more secure than others. 

  • Five-lever mortice locks are often found on wooden front doors and need a key to lock and open them.
  • Multi-point locking systems are commonly found on uPVC doors. If you need to lift up the handle to lock the door, you probably have one of these.
  • Night latches are mounted on the surface of a door, so aren’t as secure as other types of lock. They automatically lock the door when it closes.

Can I get home insurance during building works?

Yes, but you’ll need to let your home insurance provider know about any building work being carried out.

It’s likely you’ll have to pay more for your insurance during the construction work and there may be restrictions placed on your cover. You might also pay more for your insurance after the work is complete if your home improvements add to the value of your home.

If you’re carrying out large-scale renovations to your home, you might need specialist insurance to cover you during the work.

Can I transfer my home insurance policy to a new property?

No, you can’t transfer your policy, but you can potentially stay with the same provider. You’ll have to tell them about your new home and they may change your premium.

They’ll work out what you need to pay based on your new address, the property type, the rebuild cost of the property and the value of your contents.

Moving home might be a good opportunity to see if you can find cheaper cover elsewhere.

Are leaks covered by home insurance?

Most buildings insurance policies will cover you for burst pipes and water leaks as standard. This is usually classed as an ‘escape of water’, whether it’s caused by burst pipes, blocked drains or a leaky washing machine. 

But you might not be covered for a slow leak that you knew about but failed to repair.

If you make a claim for an escape of water, you might find you have to pay a higher compulsory excess in future. That’s the fixed amount you have to contribute towards the claim. Check your policy documents for details. 

Can I get home insurance if I live in a flood-risk area?

It can be more difficult to get buildings insurance if your home is in an area prone to flooding, but the government’s Flood Re scheme may be able to help.

It was set up to ensure people in high flood-risk areas can still get cover for their homes at affordable prices. And you could still get a quote with us if you live in a flood-risk area.

How do I estimate the rebuild cost of my home?

We have a calculator to help you work out the rebuild cost when you get a quote with us. Your home insurance needs to cover the cost of rebuilding your home, not its market value.

You can also find the rebuild cost of your property in your home survey. Or you can use the rebuild calculator on the Building Cost Information Service website.

Can I get home insurance if my home has subsidence?

If your home has a history of subsidence, you may find it more difficult or expensive to insure. Your home insurance policy should cover the cost of repairing damage to your house caused by subsidence, but make sure to check this.

If you make a claim for subsidence, it’s likely you’ll have to pay a higher compulsory excess in future.

Are farmhouses covered under home insurance?

Standard home insurance doesn’t cover agricultural buildings and livestock, so it’s unlikely to be suitable. This applies even if a farmhouse is on a farm that’s no longer in operation.

Compare the Market doesn’t offer a comparison for farmhouse insurance, but there are many reputable specialist providers to choose from.

If your farmhouse is part of your business, you’ll need specialist farm insurance for it. This is often packaged with business insurance.

Does home insurance cover me to work from home?

You should let your insurance provider know if you work from home as a standard home insurance policy might not cover items used for ‘business or professional use’. They’ll advise you if any extra cover is needed.

If you have clients visiting your home or you have stock at home, you’ll most likely need separate business insurance.

What happens if I can’t afford my insurance payments?

If you pay your home insurance monthly and can’t keep up with the payments, talk to your insurance provider.

If you don’t ask for help and simply miss payments, your policy will most likely be cancelled. This will leave your home and possessions unprotected.

A missed payment could also lower your credit score and it may be harder to find affordable insurance in the future.

How much does a home insurance claim affect your premium?

This will depend on the type of claim and the number of claims you’ve made. But it’s likely that your premium will increase when you come to renew. That’s why it’s always worth comparing quotes. Make sure you answer any questions about recent claims honestly.

What do our customers say about our Home insurance comparison service?

Based on 28,737 reviews, customers who bought Home insurance rated our comparison service 4.7 out of 5.

Easy to use, great price
Alison • 17/04/2024
Always a great site to find the cheapest insurance
Caterina • 14/04/2024
I found a better deal for my home insurance
Susan • 13/04/2024
Good search engine with nice prices easy to use
Alan • 12/04/2024
Page last reviewed on 12 JULY 2024
by Anna McEntee