A simples guide

Am I covered for items away from home?

When you take out home insurance contents cover, you might assume that your cover protects your possessions at all times. Unfortunately, most typical home contents insurance policies only cover your possessions while they’re actually in your own home.

For most of your possessions that’s probably absolutely fine, you’re hardly likely to take your sofa out and about with you after all, but what about items that typically travel with you? Items such as your house keys, jewellery, overcoats, handbags and cash. Then there’s the electronics side of things including your phone, tablets, cameras and laptop computers.

Protecting your personal possessions away from home

While some home insurance providers particularly in more expensive policies will already include ‘personal possessions’ or ‘away from home’ cover, many don’t.

If you’re unsure, you could check your policy documentation or speak to your insurance provider. Some will let you add the extra cover at any time, but don’t be surprised if you’re asked to pay a little extra for the privilege.

When you compare your home contents insurance through our comparison service, we’ll give you the option of adding the cover to your policy. If you do, you’ll need to provide further details about how much cover you need for items outside the home.



You should be aware that even with cover that extends to your personal possessions outside your home, there are usually certain things that won’t be covered.

  • Limits. Most insurance providers have a single item limit of £1,000 - £1,500. Any items you want to insure that are worth more than the single item limit, such as jewellery, laptops or art, will need to be specified individually within your policy.
  • Due care. Even though you’ve insurance in place, you’ve an obligation to take proper care of your items. If you leave your valuables unattended or in plain view in a locked vehicle, you run the serious risk of invalidating your claim.
  • Excluded items. A number of items are commonly excluded from personal possessions insurance including:
    • Bicycles
    • Tools
    • Camping equipment
    • Pets and animals

General wear and tear is also excluded. Check your policy wording to see exactly what is excluded.

If you carry around a lot of valuable items, you might want to consider getting cover for your items while you’re away from home. Make sure you check the small print of your policy so that you have the cover in place that you need. Use our home contents insurance comparison service to find the right deal for you.

Compare home insurance

Get a quote in seconds and start saving

Get a quote