[]   Your account

Are bikes and musical instruments covered for students?

Your bike and musical instruments probably mean a lot to you, but both are easy targets for thieves. So, if they do get stolen, are you covered? 

Chris King From the Home team
minute read

I’m a student: is my bike covered by my insurance?

Bikes are notoriously easy to steal – there’s one stolen every 90 seconds in the UK. And even though they cost a lot of money, people often leave them poorly secured or in unlocked garages and sheds.  

The good news is that you can usually add a bike to your home insurance policy at any time.  


Split 1

Is my bike insured when I’m out and about?

Chances are you’re going to be out and about on your bike, so you’ll need to make sure you’re covered for this as it may not always come as standard.

You’ll be expected to take reasonable precautions when you’re travelling, such as using approved locks fitted to fixed bike racks, for example. Otherwise, if your bike is stolen you may find your claim won’t be covered.

Split 2

What else do I need to know?

Make sure your policy has an excess you can afford, because if you make a claim, you’ll need to pay this before your insurance provider will pay out.  

If you have an expensive bike and cycle on public roads a lot, you may need to specify this on the policy to take advantage of cover specifically designed for specialist bikes.

Split 3

Are musical instruments covered by my insurance?

Musical instruments can be expensive, so it’s worth making sure you have the right cover in place.

Contents insurance will always have a single-item limit, which is usually around £1,500. If your instrument is worth more than this, you’ll need to let your insurance provider know. Otherwise you could find yourself out of pocket if you come to make a claim. 

Split 4

What should I look out for? 

Always check your policy documents, as these will tell you what’s covered, as well as detailing any exclusions, limits and excesses. If there’s anything you’re not happy with, talk to your insurance provider. Then you can make changes and arrange additional cover as you need to. 

To compare home contents policies, use our insurance comparison service to help you find the cover you need at the right price for you.

Compare home insurance

Get a quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote

comparethemarket.com uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.