A simples guide

Do I need insurance if I rent?

Typically, a homeowner needs two types of home insurance policy, one to provide buildings cover and another for the properties contents. For the tenant, whether they be renting a house or just a room, life is a little simpler.

That’s because buildings home insurance is the responsibility of the landlord, so one less thing to worry about.

With regard to contents insurance, whether you rent or own makes no difference. If you want to protect your possessions, you need home contents insurance cover.

For renters, when it comes to finding and buying home contents insurance, you’ll be treated in the same way as home owners.

Using our comparison service to find cover

To find the best contents insurance policy, start a quote with us. Once you’ve confirmed the address and type of property, we’ll ask you about your situation i.e. whether you’re a home owner or tenant. If a tenant we’ll ask which sort you are e.g. private, council or housing association. We’ll also need to know whether the property is furnished or not.

You’ll then be asked what total value you place on your possessions. We’ll provide an estimate based on what you’ve told us, but feel free to adjust it. You’ll need to advise the total amount for high risk items like phones, tablets, laptops, jewellery and cameras, as well as whether you’d like to add a bicycle to the policy.

You’ll have the option to add accidental cover, which may be particularly useful if you’re a tad clumsy!

Importantly, you need to select the amount of voluntary excess that you would like to add to your policy. This is the amount of money that you would have to pay in the event of a claim before the insurance provider will contribute.

Increasing this amount will reduce the premium you have to pay. Set it at a realistic value though. Too high, and you could leave yourself in a pickle if you break something and can’t afford to replace it. Too low and your premium could be much higher. There will probably be a compulsory excess on the policy so bear this in mind when you select your voluntary excess as the two excesses are added together.


Sharing a property can make things a little more complicated when it comes to insurance. Some insurers may refuse cover for shared accommodation or exclude more items, especially if bedroom doors don't have their own locks.

That said, you should still be able to find the cover you need, you’ll just have to accept that your choice of insurance provider might be a little more limited. Don’t be tempted to avoid telling them about sharing arrangements though, as you may invalidate your policy in the event that you need to make a claim.


A note for student renters

Student housing can be different from other rented accommodation but you’ll still need cover for your possessions. As a student you may find that the number of insurance providers that will quote for you may be more limited than for non-students, particularly if you share a house of flat.

Remember, whether you’re a tenant or a homeowner makes no difference when it comes to home contents insurance. It’s still your stuff. Your possessions, your valuables. Insurance gives you valuable piece of mind that if the worst does happen, at least you’ll have the means to be able to replace your items.

The home contents insurance market is very competitive so always compare prices before selecting a policy. Doing so couldn’t be easier than here with us. Find out what you could save by comparing today.

Compare home insurance

Get a quote in seconds and start saving

Get a quote