Cook with fire safety in mind
For most of us, cooking at home is part of a normal daily routine. It’s another major fire hazard, though – accounting for half of all house fires in the UK. So here are a few dos and don’ts:
- Leave pots and pans unattended.
- Leave children alone in the kitchen.
- Leave saucepan handles sticking out, where they might get knocked over.
- Leave flammable materials (tea towels and cloths) near a lit hob.
- Keep your oven and hob clean – grease and fat deposits can build up and trigger a fire.
- Keep your toaster clean – for much the same reason.
- Keep plugs and electric leads away from water.
- Take pans off the heat if any fat you’re cooking with starts to smoke – fat can easily set alight.