Chris King

Head of Home Insurance

Chris is an expert on all things related to buildings and contents insurance and has engaged with the media on a range of topics about home insurance.

Chris has also commented on potential exclusions in contents insurance policies around carrying out DIY during lockdown; increased levels of bike theft during COVID-19; the concerning levels of under insurance among young people and renters.

Chris King commenting on...

Shed & outbuilding Insurance

“All those garden tools and furniture you acquire over the years, or musical equipment you might keep in the garage or summerhouse, would be extremely expensive to replace.

“Be sure to check the fine print of your home insurance policy to see what’s covered, and add on extra contents insurance if necessary, to make sure you’re covered for the full value of your belongings.”

Weather & storm damage insurance cover

“Having the right home insurance in place can give you peace of mind that any repair or rebuild costs can be taken care of, if your home is damaged or destroyed by a storm.

“If you live in a high-risk flood area, or have a home that’s more prone to weather damage – a thatched cottage, for example – you may want to check your insurance policy to ensure it meets your needs, should any damage occur."

Handbag insurance

“Handbags are among some of our most prized possessions, so it pays to check if they’re covered by your insurance, especially when you go out. If you’ve been given an expensive quote, you could save money by shopping around.”

Unlimited home insurance

“Some home insurance policies will offer unlimited cover for buildings but not for contents. This is worth bearing in mind if you’re looking for a combined policy. You may need to consider what contents limits you’d be happy with if you opt for a combined buildings and contents policy.”

Home appliance insurance

“It could be worth taking out home appliance insurance once your appliance is out of warranty. But it’s a good idea to check the details of your contents insurance before buying a separate policy for your domestic goods. You might find you have adequate cover already – and there’s no point in doubling-up on cover if you don’t need it.”

Leasehold buildings insurance

“If you haven’t already, it’s worth checking the details of your lease to see if you’re responsible for contributions towards maintaining the communal areas of the building. You’ll need to set up payments for this if you haven’t done so already.”

Tenant's liability insurance

“If you’re one of the many households that rent a property in the UK, you’ll want the peace of mind that you’re protected financially if you damage your landlord’s property by accident.  

“Insurance for renters isn’t always obligatory, but it can safeguard you against risks to do with your living situation.

“The home insurance market is incredibly competitive, so shopping around and comparing quotes is a great way to get a cheaper deal.”

Mobile phone insurance

"Smartphones can cost hundreds of pounds – and so much of our lives are on them. If you’re worried about the cost of repairing or replacing your phone, then mobile insurance might work for you."

Boiler cover

"When comparing boiler cover, it's important to know what's included and what isn't. Boiler cover can be quite specific, so look out for any exclusions around the types of boilers and faults you can claim for, as well as any claims limit. If you have an annual limit of £1,000, then you'd need to pay any extra costs yourself."

Buildings insurance

“Buildings insurance could give you the peace of mind of knowing that you’re financially protected if something goes wrong. And when you combine it with contents insurance, you’ll know your home is covered – inside and out.”

Student contents insurance

"For most students, making every penny count is important. So think about whether you just want to cover your own possessions, or get a policy with your housemates. If you're happy to share a policy, you could save money by splitting the premium."