Are unlimited data deals good value for money?
That depends – if you use lots of data then of course, an unlimited data deal will offer you the best value for money. It means that you won’t get caught short and end up exceeding your allowance and in turn won’t be billed for any additional charges.
But if you don’t use a lot of data, or are in between medium and heavy usage then it might not always be the best choice of phone deal because you could be paying for a lot more than you actually need.
How much you do actually need - put your usage into context. You use ‘data’ every time you access the internet on your mobile, even just viewing a photo on your Facebook feed uses up data. The average customer uses about 1GB of data a month – this would let you do one of the below:
- Send a million WhatsApp messages a month
- Post 500 photos on social media
- Send and receive 10,000 basic emails
- Watch two hours of TV in standard definition and an hour in high definition
- Make up to five hours of video calls
Plus, you’d still have enough data to download and read webpages and just over half an hour to play a game online.