Missed mortgage payments: a guide

Let’s take a look at your options if you’ve missed mortgage payments – or you’re worried about doing so in the future. 

Tobi Owens From the Mortgages team
minute read

Can I get help from the government to pay my mortgage?

Some homeowners can get support from the government through its Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) programme. The government offers loans – paid directly to the lender – to help you pay the interest on your mortgage. To be eligible, you’ll need to be getting one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit.

There are a number of different conditions and exclusions, so check on the government’s website. Be aware that you’ll need to repay this loan, with interest, when you come to sell your home.

In Scotland, and some Welsh councils, you may be able to find extra help through the Mortgage Rescue Scheme. Check with the relevant government website – in Scotland or Wales – for more details.

Where else can I get help with my finances?

If you have mortgage protection insurance, you could meet the cost of your mortgage each month if you lose your job or fall ill and can no longer earn a living. Many policies pay out for a maximum of one year only. If you don’t have this type of cover, check with your lender to see what other support they provide.

Some charities offer free help with debt issues, including the National Debtline and StepChange Debt Charity. Citizens Advice offer help in-person or over the phone; call 03444 111 444 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday).

Looking for a mortgage?

Compare mortgages in minutes to see if you can save

Compare now