What should I look for when choosing off-road insurance?
When buying off-road motorbike insurance, whether from a specialist or as an add-on to a standard policy, there are some features you should look out for and consider whether you need them or not:
- accidental damage cover – the key feature, covering your bike for damage it suffers off-road
- legal assistance cover – to pay for any legal expenses and compensation in case someone sues you for damages
- personal injury cover – this provides a pay-out if you’re seriously hurt in an accident
- in transit cover – if your bike gets to the track in a van or trailer, some policies will cover for damage along the way – check the wording if this is important for you
- breakdown cover – off-road bikes can take a beating, so this is helpful in case you break down and get stranded on the ride home
If you want to take part in trials and competitions, you will need to check this is covered too, as it can often be excluded from mainstream policies – even those designed for off road.