What affects the cost of dog insurance?
Factors affecting the level of dog insurance premium you pay include:
• Your dog’s age
• Whether it is a pedigree dog, or any other breed deemed to be more at risk of developing a medical condition
• The type of insurance you take out, e.g. accident only, maximum benefit, lifetime
• The level of policy excess you select (the amount of any claim you have to pay out of your own pocket) all affect the premium.
Where you live – the insurance provider may also charge higher premiums if you live in an affluent area were vet’s bills may be higher. What else should I know?
• Pre-existing conditions are excluded from cover, but may also increase the premium
• Routine treatments such as check-ups and vaccinations are unlikely to be covered
• Dental treatment may not be covered
• You may not be able to insure puppies until they are around eight weeks old, or insure dogs over a certain age, say eight to ten years of age
• It may be difficult to obtain cover for dangerous dogs, or for working dogs
Start a pet insurance quote today telling us a bit about you and your dog and the level of cover you think you’ll need. We’ll then provide you with a list of policies with the cheapest first. Make sure you take a close look at the level of cover and the policy details. Just see how much you could save!