What to do with your dog on Bonfire Night
To keep your pet as calm and comfortable as possible, make sure their home environment is extra inviting on Bonfire Night:
• Create a comfy den or safe place for your dog, away from the action. If you have a crate, this is perfect. Otherwise, you can drape a blanket over a chair or table.
• Put an old T-shirt, or something that smells of you, in with their bedding.
• Play soothing music to drown out the fireworks.
• Draw the curtains so your dog isn’t startled by the flashing lights.
• Don’t lock your dog in another room – they’ll no doubt prefer to be close to you.
• If your dog is really terrified, there are medications and homoeopathic remedies available. But never give your pet medication without consulting your vet.
Make sure your dog is microchipped. That way if they do make an escape, you’ve got a better chance of being reunited. In any case, microchipping is now a legal requirement for dogs.