Compare travel insurance for Australia
Compare travel insurance for Australia
Over 670,000 British nationals visit Australia every year. If you’re thinking of joining them, you’ll need to think about travel insurance for your trip down under.
Do I need travel insurance for Australia?
We’d strongly recommend it in case you have an emergency while you’re over 9,000 miles from home.
Travel insurance can protect your possessions from theft and your flights from cancellations and delays. It can also cover your medical costs if you feel ill or have an accident.
How much is travel insurance for Australia?
If you’re travelling to Australia, worldwide travel insurance could cost from £10 for a week, based on Compare the Market data in December 2019.
**50% of people could achieve a quote of £9.95 for worldwide travel insurance for 1 week based on Compare the Market data in December 2019
How does Australian Medicare affect my travel insurance?
If you’re a British national, you’ll be entitled to subsidised medical treatment under the Australian Medicare scheme (similar to the NHS).
Medicare may not cover everything you need such as cancelled flights and if you aren’t insured, it could work out very expensive, so you’ll need your own travel insurance as well.
What can travel insurance cover?
Look for cover for:
- Medical care – the right policy will offer you full protection if you were to fall ill or have an accident. It will typically also cover you if you need to be medically evacuated back to the UK.
- Flight cancellations and missed connections – your travel insurance could protect you against the extra costs that these events incur. Cover for things like a missed connection isn’t included in all policies, so if you want to be covered for this, make sure you check the policy T&Cs.
- Damage, loss or theft of your luggage – your travel insurance should cover you for replacing clothes, medicine, gadgets and toiletries if your luggage is damaged, lost or stolen. Remember to take note of any excesses that apply on your policy, as well as the overall possessions and single item limits.
- Holiday cancellation cover – different insurance providers will cover different reasons for cancellation, so pay particular attention to these.
What else should I consider when I choose my travel insurance?
Think about what sort of trip you’re planning and what types of activities you intend to do before you start comparing travel insurance for Australia. You might want to look at:
- Backpacker insurance – if you’re going on a long trip, this could be right for you.
- Extreme sports cover – this can cover you for bungee jumping, paragliding and skydiving.
- Sports travel insurance – this generally covers you for lower-risk sports activities.
- Water sports insurance – this can cover diving, sailing, canoeing and more.
- Golf insurance – this can cover a round or two in the sun.
- Winter sports insurance – if you’ll be skiing or snowboarding in Australia. (Yes, there’s snow there.)
Will I need a visa?
Yes, British citizens will need a visa but you can apply online in two ways:
- eVisitor visa – is free and you can apply direct to Australia’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
- ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) – this is obtained from your travel agent or airline and there’s usually a service fee of $20 but no visa application charge.
Any other tips for a trip to Australia?
Here are a few facts about Australia to help you on your way:
- Language: English – although some words won’t mean what you think they mean: ‘bathers’ are swimming costumes, ‘thongs’ are flip flops and ‘strides’ are trousers.
- Time zones: There are three: Eastern, Central and Western.
- It’s big: It will take you 9 hours to drive from Sydney to Melbourne, and there are 10,000 beaches and 50,000kms of coastline to enjoy.
- Tipping: It’s up to you. In top restaurants, it’s common to tip 10%. Hotels and restaurants don’t tend to add service charges to your bill.
Where can I compare travel insurance quotes?
Whether you’re looking to go to Australia for a single trip or are buying travel cover for you and your family, our comparison service will make it easy for you to find great deals. Compare travel insurance costs today and get a quote in minutes.