[]   Your account

Compare travel insurance for Austria

Compare travel insurance for Austria

Some 980,000 Brits flock to Austria’s cities, mountains and Christmas markets every year. Here’s how to find the right travel insurance for your trip, giving you peace of mind while you explore.

Patrick Ikhena
From the Travel team
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Posted 26 MAY 2020

Do I need travel insurance for Austria?

Planning a city break to Vienna or Salzburg, or skiing in Saalbach or Soelden? Whatever the destination, you’ll need to think about travel insurance. The right policy should give you peace of mind in case of loss, theft or cancellation – as well as covering you for accidents in town or on the slopes.


On 7 September 2020, the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) updated the list of countries that are exempt from its ongoing advice against all non-essential international travel.

If you choose to travel overseas to a destination where the FCDO is advising against non-essential travel at the time of your departure, then your insurance policy will be invalid, and any claim likely to be rejected.

For domestic travel, please check the local public health rules for the destination you wish to travel to within the United Kingdom.

For more information, please see our coronavirus and travel insurance page.

What will travel insurance for Austria cover?

When shopping for travel cover for your holiday in Austria, look for a policy that includes:

  • Medical treatment so you have the reassurance of knowing you’re covered for any accident or illness while you’re away. Some policies also include cover for repatriation back to the UK, if you’re too ill to travel on your pre-booked flight.
  • Cancellation cover can ensure you get your money back if you have to cancel your trip. Check the terms and conditions to see exactly what’s covered. You should also make sure your level of cover is enough to pay for the cost of your trip.
  • Damage, loss or theft should cover you for things like your passport being stolen or your luggage going missing.
  • Winter sports cover. As well as standard cover, this type of policy could cover you for things like losing your ski pass or having your skiing disrupted by piste closure. Check your policy to make sure it covers all the activities you want to do on your trip.

Do I need a visa to go to Austria?

If you’re travelling on a British or EU passport, you won’t need a visa to travel to Austria during Brexit negotiations.

Depending on what happens with the ongoing talks between the EU and the UK, rules around travel to Europe may change. However, they are likely to stay the same at least until the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December 2020.

Is my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) valid in Austria?

UK residents can use their EHIC cards to get state medical care in Austria until the end of the Brexit transition period on 31 December 2020. What will happen after that is unclear. The care you can get using the EHIC may not cover all your needs, so you’ll still need travel insurance.

What else should I think about if I’m going to Austria?

Here are a few things to be aware of to help you enjoy your trip:

  • Opening hours: Across much of Austria, opening hours hark back to old-fashioned Catholic traditions. Most small shops close at 6pm Monday through Saturday, and stay closed on Sundays.
  • Smoking isn’t illegal indoors: Most bars and cafes have smoking and non-smoking areas. However, it’s always best to check.
  • Tipping: If you’re happy with your service, 10% is the standard tip for waiting staff and taxi drivers in Austria.
  • FCO advice: Currently, the FCO is advising people against any non-essential travel

Where can I compare travel insurance quotes for Austria?

The right travel insurance will give you peace of mind on your holiday to Austria. Start comparing travel insurance today to help find cover that’s right for you.

Looking for a quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Compare travel insurance Get a quote

comparethemarket.com uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.