Compare travel insurance for Croatia

Driving along the coast, high-rising mountains and breath-taking national parks, are just a few reasons as to why Croatia is a popular holiday destination. Read our guide on what you need to know about travel insurance for Croatia before you go.

Driving along the coast, high-rising mountains and breath-taking national parks, are just a few reasons as to why Croatia is a popular holiday destination. Read our guide on what you need to know about travel insurance for Croatia before you go.

Josh Daniels
From the Travel team
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Posted 01 FEBRUARY 2021

Why do I need travel insurance for Croatia?

It’s important to have travel insurance wherever your destination, and Croatia is no exception. Having cover means you have financial protection against the cost of medical care, theft and other potential losses.

Croatian cities have become home to a growing festival culture, attracting people from all over the world - with large crowds it’s a good idea to have cover in case any of your belongings are lost or stolen.

Travel insurance can cover the costs of items that are stolen or damaged. You’ll need to check your single item limit on your policy, as you may not be able to claim back the full value of expensive items. It’s important to know that being under the influence of alcohol can also invalidate your ability to claim, so check your policy before you travel.

A standard travel insurance policy should cover you for any routine activities, but if you plan to take part in water sports or extreme sports, you may need additional cover.

It’s a good idea to arrange your travel insurance when you book your holiday. You then should be able to claim back the cost of your holiday should you need to cut your trip short or cancel altogether due to an emergency.


The travel traffic light system currently states that trips to green and amber listed countries are legally permitted if you live in England and Scotland. If you live in Wales and Northern Ireland, you still need to follow the rules for your relevant government.

If your destination of choice is on the green or amber list, you still need to check the latest travel advice and entry requirements for each country you visit or transit through. This is to ensure you are aware of any specific requirements relating to entry and ensure travellers from the UK are permitted. Countries can have their traffic light status changed with short notice and you should take this into consideration when looking to travel. Please check the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) for the latest information.

The FCDO currently advises against all but essential travel to red list countries. Most insurance policies purchased to cover a trip to a destination where the FCDO has instructed citizens not to travel to won’t be valid, however, some insurance providers may offer reduced cover if you’re travelling for essential purposes. Should you have any queries, please check the policy wording, or contact your chosen provider before purchasing, to ensure the cover meets your needs.

Travel within England, Scotland and Wales is permitted under the current guidelines. However, public health rules and lockdown restrictions continue to vary, including entry restrictions for Northern Ireland. Check the latest guidance from the official tourism boards for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland respectively.

Find out more here

Customers with more serious pre-existing medical conditions

When you declare medical conditions on our website, we’ll only show quotes from insurance providers who will cover all declared medical conditions, with no exclusions. 

MoneyHelper has launched a directory of insurance providers who may be able to provide quotes over the phone if you have more serious medical conditions. Find more information at MoneyHelper or by calling them on 0800 138 7777.

What kind of travel insurance will I need for Croatia?

f you’re travelling to Croatia you’ll need European travel insurance. You’ll then need to choose between a single-trip or annual multi-trip policy.

If you plan to visit for a long period of time, then you’ll typically need backpackers insurance. This will ensure that you’re got the right level of cover for your full itinerary.

Think about any additional cover you might need if you’re taking part in any adventure activities, such as scuba-diving.

What else do I need to know when travelling to Croatia?

EHIC: if you’ve got a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)****, then this will give state you access to the same medical treatment as Croatian locals.

However, this wouldn’t cover other costs linked to a medical emergency, such as an air ambulance. These costs can be covered through your travel insurance policy, as well as treatment not covered under an EHIC.

****After Brexit, and the UK officially left the EU with a deal in place, things have changed. You won’t be able to apply for an EHIC anymore, but, if you have one already, issued before the end of 2020, then it’ll still be valid until the expiry date.

However, the UK government has introduced a replacement called the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). If you don’t have an EHIC, or once yours expires, you can apply for a GHIC here, and it should arrive within 10 days. The GHIC will offer the same cover as the EHIC did in EU countries.

Currency: the local currency is Kuna.

Looking for quote?

Compare travel insurance deals with our easy-to-use comparison service to help you get the right level of cover ahead of your trip.

Looking for a quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Compare travel insurance Get a quote