Dubai facts you might like to know
- Visa: If you’re a British citizen you can get a 30 day visa on entry. It can be extended while you’re in Dubai for a fee at the immigration office.
- Currency: The official currency is the UAE dirham (Dh) and cash machines are readily available.
- Tipping: You don’t have to tip but it is common and very welcome. Only food and drink outlets inside hotels are allowed to add service charges to your bill (usually 10%).
- Vaccines: You should see your doctor at least one month before travelling just to double check but in most cases you shouldn’t need anything specific to travel to Dubai or the UAE.
- Time difference and flights: Dubai is +4 hours ahead of standard British time (GMT) and the average flight time to Dubai from London is 6 hours and 45 minutes.
- Camel racing: A very popular sport in Dubai, and to make it even more thrilling, robots now ride them in races (that’s got to be worth seeing).
- Police cars: Even the police cars are luxury, the police fleet includes a Ferrari and a Lamborghini.
- Know where you’re going: Because building work is continual, there are no official street names or addresses in Dubai, so a map is very useful. That is changing though as a new mapping system will allocate buildings with their own ‘barcode’.