So how do I apply for an ESTA to enter the USA?
It's easy. To apply for an ESTA, all you need to do is visit the official ESTA application page, where you’ll be asked a few questions. Avoid third party sites, as they’re likely to charge you an extra fee to process your application – it’s not necessary and you don't want to be paying any more than you need to.
You’ll need to make sure that:
- You’re a citizen, or an eligible national from one of the 38 countries that are part of the programme
- You don't already have a valid visa
- You will be travelling to the USA for 90 days or less
- You’re visiting the USA for a holiday, or on business
- You have a valid credit card to pay for your application (MasterCard, VISA, American Express, or Discover – including JCB and Diners Club)
- You have your contact information to hand
- If applicable, employment information
Once you’ve filled out the online application, you could be told within seconds whether your ESTA has been accepted. But be sure to allow up to 72 hours for a response, just in case.
You won’t need to print out your ESTA to show at border control, but we do recommend you keep a copy for your records, just in case.
And while we’re at it, you’ll need travel insurance when you’re in America. We can help you sift through a range of insurance providers in just a few seconds, so you can find the policy that’s right for you and your US adventure. Just use our handy travel insurance comparison service to find the deal that’s right for you.
So in summary: ESTA? Check. American dollars? Check. Travel insurance for the USA? Check. You’re good to go.