Mobile phone and gadget travel insurance
Mobile phone and gadget travel insurance
Mobile phones, wearables, tablets and laptops are indispensable pieces of holiday kit for many of us. But what if your smartphone fell in the swimming pool, or your Kindle or camera was stolen while you were away? To make sure they’re protected, you may want to consider mobile phone and gadget travel insurance.
Why would I need travel insurance with gadget cover?
You might assume that mobile phones and other gadgets are covered by your travel insurance as standard. But the fact is, not all travel insurance policies include gadget cover.
Those that do usually have low pay-out limits for tech equipment like mobile phones and tablets. In some cases, this could be as little as £100 for a single item, or around £250 in total.
If you’re taking a high-spec smartphone, Kindle and fitness tracker with you, this won’t be nearly enough to cover their value.
Gadget travel insurance offers extra protection and higher limits for expensive tech items. This could be between £1,000 - £3,000, depending on the insurance provider and the level of cover you choose.
We are temporarily suspending our travel insurance comparison service.
On 4 April 2020, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advised against all non-essential international travel for an indefinite period.
If you choose to travel overseas to a destination while the FCO has advised against non-essential travel, or domestically against the instructions of the UK Government, then your insurance policy will be invalid, and any claim likely to be rejected. Therefore, until we have complete confidence we can get you a policy to meet your needs, we have taken the decision to temporarily suspend our travel insurance comparison service.
We will continually review the situation, and resume our service in the future, in accordance with the latest FCO or UK Government restrictions on travel.
Until then, stay safe.
For more information, please see our Coronavirus and travel insurance page.
What types of gadget travel insurance are available?
There are a few choices open to you. You can:
- Buy separate standalone gadget-only travel insurance. This might be the best option for you, if you want to cover very valuable pieces of kit.
- Add gadget insurance as an optional extra to your standard travel insurance policy
- Insure your tech with a dedicated gadget insurance policy – just make sure it covers you abroad
- Find home contents insurance with cover for personal possessions abroad.
What items are covered by mobile phone and gadget insurance?
Specific gadgets may vary for each insurance provider. Items covered will be listed in your policy document. These usually include:
- mobile/smart phone
- tablet/ iPad
- games console
- wearables such as Fitbit
- GPS sat nav
- Bluetooth headsets/earphones
- accessories like chargers
What cover does mobile phone and gadget insurance provide?
Cover may vary between insurance providers, but a good policy could include:
- accidental damage, loss or theft
- water damage
- unauthorised web data usage
- unauthorised phone calls
- higher single item and total limits
What else should I check before buying mobile phone and gadget insurance?
There are a few things to think about before you take out gadget travel insurance, to make sure you get the policy that’s right for you.
- Check to see if your mobile phone and gadgets are already covered under any other policies. For example, check your personal possessions cover included in your home insurance. And check your insurance through your bank account, or insurance you bought when you took out your mobile phone contract.
- Check the excess amount, as this will be deducted from the pay-out if you have to make a claim.
- Many policies don’t include ‘new for old’ cover. If your gadget isn’t brand new, your insurance provider might only offer a refurbished replacement of a similar age.
Always read the policy wording carefully before buying extra insurance, so you know exactly what the excesses, limits and exclusions are.
Where can I compare travel insurance?
You can compare travel insurance, right here.
We can help you look for the right level of cover, at a competitive price.
But please note, at Compare the Market currently we don’t compare quotes specifically for gadget insurance.