Compare travel insurance for Germany

Christmas markets, the Black Forest and cruising on the Rhine are just three reasons why Germany is a popular tourist destination. Read our guide on travel insurance for Germany, to help you find a great-value deal, so you’re covered for your trip.

Christmas markets, the Black Forest and cruising on the Rhine are just three reasons why Germany is a popular tourist destination. Read our guide on travel insurance for Germany, to help you find a great-value deal, so you’re covered for your trip.

Josh Daniels
From the Travel team
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Posted 01 FEBRUARY 2021

Why do I need travel insurance for Germany?

It’s important to get travel insurance wherever you’re travelling to, and Germany is no exception. Although a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)** is valid, travel insurance will cover costs that your EHIC may not, such as private hospitals. It will also cover costs related to a medical emergency, such as repatriation to the UK.

Crime levels are similar to those of the UK, so it’s important to keep an eye on your belongings, particularly in built up areas to avoid bag-snatching and pick-pocketing. If your belongings are stolen, you’ll need to report it to the local police and let your insurance provider know.

It’s important to check your single article limit, which is the maximum amount you can claim for any one of your possessions, as you may not be able to claim back the full value of more expensive items.

It’s always a good idea to get travel insurance when you book your holiday to ensure you can claim back the cost of the holiday, should you need to cut your trip short or cancel altogether because of an event such as bereavement.

**After Brexit, and the UK officially left the EU with a deal in place, things have changed. You won’t be able to apply for an EHIC anymore, but, if you have one already, issued before the end of 2020, then it’ll still be valid until the expiry date.

However, the UK government has introduced a replacement called the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). If you don’t have an EHIC, or once yours expires, you can apply for a GHIC here, and it should arrive within 10 days. The GHIC will offer the same cover as the EHIC did in EU countries.


The travel traffic light system currently states that trips to green and amber listed countries are legally permitted if you live in England and Scotland. If you live in Wales and Northern Ireland, you still need to follow the rules for your relevant government.

Please note: from 4am on 4 October 2021, the current traffic light system will be replaced by a single red list of countries.

Currently, if your destination of choice is on the green or amber list, you still need to check the latest travel advice and entry requirements for each country you visit or transit through. This is to ensure you are aware of any specific requirements relating to entry and ensure travellers from the UK are permitted. Countries can have their traffic light status changed with short notice and you should take this into consideration when looking to travel. Please check the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) for the latest information.

The FCDO currently advises against all but essential travel to red list countries. Most insurance policies purchased to cover a trip to a destination where the FCDO has instructed citizens not to travel to won’t be valid, however, some insurance providers may offer reduced cover if you’re travelling for essential purposes. Should you have any queries, please check the policy wording, or contact your chosen provider before purchasing, to ensure the cover meets your needs.

Travel within England, Scotland and Wales is permitted under the current guidelines. However, public health rules and lockdown restrictions continue to vary, including entry restrictions for Northern Ireland. Check the latest guidance from the official tourism boards for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland respectively.

Find out more here

Customers with more serious pre-existing medical conditions

When you declare medical conditions on our website, we’ll only show quotes from insurance providers who will cover all declared medical conditions, with no exclusions. 

MoneyHelper has launched a directory of insurance providers who may be able to provide quotes over the phone if you have more serious medical conditions. Find more information at MoneyHelper or by calling them on 0800 138 7777.

What should my travel insurance to Germany include?

While your holiday to Germany should be all about fun and exploration, you should consider the following cover, just to protect you and provide peace of mind:

  • Medical cover – you’d be surprised at how expensive medical costs can be while abroad, even somewhere like Germany. Medical expenses while abroad can easily run into the tens of thousands of pounds
  • Lost, stolen or damaged luggage and passports – crime levels are similar to the UK. Be wary of your surroundings and careful with your belongings, especially in the more crowded areas in larger cities like Berlin and Hamburg.
  • Cancellations and delays – if your holiday is cancelled, delayed or shortened, you can claim back your costs. However, it’s important to check whether your travel is ATOL protected. Trips to Germany don’t tend to be package holidays, which may mean you don’t have the ATOL protection as standard. If that’s the case, you should consider arranging travel insurance to ensure you have adequate coverage.
  • Repatriation – if there’s trouble with the airline, or you need special travel arrangements due to a medical requirement, these costs can be covered. German airlines such as Germania and Condor have collapsed or had significant financial issues in recent years, leaving passengers worried about their travel arrangements. Therefore, it is recommended to always take out travel insurance in advance of your trip to give you peace of mind.

Germany Travel Insurance Exclusions

While your insurance can provide cover for many of the unexpected costs you might face while travelling in Germany, there may be some exceptions. Here are some of the things to check carefully for in your policy:

  • Pre-existing medical conditions – if you require treatment for these, you’ll likely need to pay more on your premium.
  • Injuries or accidents resulting from high-risk activities – Germany isn’t particularly renowned as an adventure sports hub, but you can arrange sky-diving, paragliding and bungee-jumping experiences. If you're taking part in any activities like this, be sure to check that your activities are included in your chosen policy.
  • Incidents related to alcohol abuse – Germany has a thriving nightlife scene, with Berlin particularly famous for its eclectic nightclubs and party venues. Oktoberfest is one of Europe’s most popular drinking festivals, with travellers gathering from across the continent. There are thousands of people drinking together, which can lead to alcohol-related incidents. It's important to know that, if you’re injured or lose something as a result of being overly intoxicated, your claim will likely be rejected.
  • Travel to regions which Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) have advised to avoid – this may be because of disease epidemics or terrorism threats. The FCO doesn’t currently advise avoiding travel to Germany, but does list the terrorism threat as likely.
  • Act of God – this includes natural disasters. Germany doesn’t suffer heavily from natural disasters. The most common are storms and flooding, but most trips are trouble free.

What types of travel insurance do I need when visiting Germany?

If you’re travelling to Germany you’ll need European travel insurance. You’ll then need to choose between a single-trip or annual multi-trip policy.

If you’re visiting for work purposes then it’s a good idea to buy business travel insurance. This can protect you from missed flights and protect expensive equipment, such as a work laptop.

If you’re spending a longer period in Germany, perhaps as a student, then you should consider backpackers insurance, which will typically offer 12-18 months cover.

Ask your provider what activities are excluded from your policy, as you’re likely to need additional cover for more adventurous activities like zip-lining or paragliding.

What else do I need to know when travelling to Germany?

EHIC: when travelling to Germany, you’ll need to bring either a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or GHIC with you, which you can get free from the NHS. This gives you access to state-provided medical treatment you need during your trip on the same terms as German citizens.

  • Currency: the local currency in Germany is the euro.
  • Visa: if you're a British passport holder, you won’t need a visa for visiting or working in Germany. This may change after the Brexit transition phase.
  • Tipping: while tipping is quite common in Germany, it’s only really done as a sign of appreciation, rather than expectation. As a rule of thumb, 5-10% tip at a restaurant is a reasonable tip.
  • Jaywalking: in Germany, it’s illegal to cross a pedestrian crossing when the red light is on. Doing so risks a fine.

Looking for quote?

Compare travel insurance deals with our easy-to-use comparison service to help you get the right level of cover ahead of your trip.

Looking for a quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Compare travel insurance Get a quote