Compare travel insurance for Hong Kong

Hong Kong’s skyline, completed by towering mountain peaks, is second to none and is just one reason that 65 million visitors went to the Asian metropolis in 2018. Here’s how to find the right travel insurance ahead of your trip.

Hong Kong’s skyline, completed by towering mountain peaks, is second to none and is just one reason that 65 million visitors went to the Asian metropolis in 2018. Here’s how to find the right travel insurance ahead of your trip.

Patrick Ikhena
From the Travel team
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Posted 2 APRIL 2020

Why do I need travel insurance for Hong Kong?

Travel insurance is a great idea for any trip, and it’s no different if you’re going to Hong Kong. If you get sick or are injured during your break, private medical treatment will be expensive but could be covered by a travel insurance policy.

Cancellation cover, included as standard within travel insurance policies, could reimburse you for the full cost of your break if you have to cancel, for example, because of family bereavement (or any other reason stated in your policy). That’s why it’s always a good idea to get travel insurance as soon as you book your break.

If you need to cut short your trip, make sure you tell your insurance provider before you head for home. They’ll need to know why you’re making a claim, and they’ll decide whether to pay out for an emergency flight home.

Travel insurance can also give you reassurance that you could replace your favourite gadgets, and other belongings, if they’re stolen, lost or damaged. Check your policy for your single item limit, though, as this is the maximum you can claim for any item that needs to be replaced.


Following new restrictions implemented on 5 January 2021, you can only travel internationally or within the UK if you're legally permitted to do so while the UK is under full lockdown restrictions.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. See latest FCDO advice for further information.

Any insurance policy purchased to cover a trip to a destination where the local authority, or the FCDO, has instructed citizens not to travel, will not be valid.

For more information, please see our coronavirus and travel insurance page.

Until then, stay safe.

Customers with more serious pre-existing medical conditions

Our panel includes insurance providers who quote cover for all medical conditions declared on our website, with no exclusions.

The Money and Pensions Service (MaPs) has also launched on its Money Advice Service website a directory of insurance providers who may be able to provide quotes over the phone, if you have more serious medical conditions. Find more information at the Money Advice Service or by calling the British Insurance Brokers’ Association on 0370 950 1790.

What kind of travel insurance might I need for Hong Kong?

The kind of cover you need depends on how long you need cover for, and what you plan to do in Hong Kong. The most common types of travel insurance are:

Single trip covers for one short trip, typically of up to 90 days – but make sure you check the terms of the policy

Annual multi-trip If you’re taking more than two trips in a year, then a multi-trip policy may be more cost-effective. Check any limits for the number of days abroad you’re covered for 

Backpacker This type of policy could be suitable if you plan to travel for long periods of time, and often to multiple countries, as part of one trip. It tends to offer more cover than standard insurance

When comparing policies, check that any activities you’re planning to do in Hong Kong are covered. This is especially important if you’ll be taking part in extreme sports, like rock climbing or cross-harbour swimming.

If your chosen sport or activity isn’t covered by a standard travel insurance policy, contact the provider to see if they can include it. If they won’t, you might want to shop around for a specialist provider who will offer you the level of cover you need.

Once you’ve found a policy, ensure you keep your insurance provider’s details with you in case you need to contact them during your trip.

Do I need a visa to travel to Hong Kong?

Hong Kong has its own immigration controls, despite being part of the People’s Republic of China. Brits can visit Hong Kong for up to six months without a visa. However, you will need a visa if you plan to visit mainland China or Hainan Island. The Chinese Embassy has more information on this.

Your passport should be valid for at least one month after the date you leave Hong Kong.

Any other travel tips for Hong Kong?

Vaccinations See your doctor at least four weeks before your trip. They might advise you to get vaccinated for hepatitis A, tetanus and typhoid. Most of these are free via the NHS.

Climate Hong Kong has a sub-tropical climate and can be hot and humid, particularly during summer (June to September). Summer is also typhoon season, so you might face travel disruption during this time.

Time differences Hong Kong is eight hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).

Tipping More customary in Hong Kong than mainland China, tipping still isn’t generally part of the culture (apart from in hotels, where it’s often expected). Leaving a tip at the end of a tour is acceptable.

Compare Hong Kong travel insurance

Let us know your requirements and we’ll compare travel insurance deals that help you get the right level of cover at a great price.

Looking for a quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Compare travel insurance Get a quote uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.