If you’re heading overseas to study or for a work placement, travel insurance is probably the last thing on your mind. Nonetheless, it’s an important consideration for peace of mind and financial security.

Why do I need travel insurance? 

You’ll need travel or holiday insurance to cover you for the cost of medical treatment abroad, which can cost thousands of pounds.

It may also cover lost baggage and other travel-related mishaps, which can be very expensive in another country.

What can it cover?

Travel insurance policies vary from provider to provider, but can cover a variety of things, including:

- Emergency medical treatment costs, plus policies can usually cover the cost of getting you home after medical treatment abroad (if you can’t use your original ticket).

- The cost of a friend or relative flying out from home to support you and staying with you while you’re receiving treatment.

- Lost baggage or other possessions (or if they’re stolen). Some policies might refund you if your trip is cancelled or cut short (cover will vary, depending on the policy).

study abroad insurance

Will my university or college offer travel insurance?

It’s possible that your university or college will offer cover while you’re abroad. If this is the case, you’ll probably be offered insurance as part of your study or work placement.

As the cover offered by colleges varies, and the situation of each student is different, it’s worth reading the details of the policy carefully.

Does my destination affect my travel insurance?

Depending on where in the world you’re headed, you may want to add additional cover to your travel insurance or increase some of the maximum policy limits. If you’re working abroad, consider whether you have insurance to cover you in a workplace situation as it’s unlikely that travel insurance alone will cover this.

It’s worth using our travel insurance comparison service to compare multiple policies all in one place. You can compare features and prices, to see which policy best suits your needs.

Does my destination affect my travel insurance?

What type of cover do I need?

When deciding on a travel insurance policy, you’ll need to consider the specifics of your itinerary, as well as your study or work placement requirements, to ensure you are opting for a policy that meets your needs.

Single trip covers you for one trip (for one or multiple destinations). Cover starts when you leave your home in the UK and ends when you return home. There’s a maximum amount of time that you can be away on one trip for – this is typically 31 days.

Annual cover can also be known as a multi-trip policy. It’s normally purchased on an annual basis and will commence from your selected start date. During your multi-trip policy, you’re able to travel multiple times to your selected destination(s) over the course of a year, with the cover starting and finishing in the UK.

Backpacker trip offers cover for a single trip, usually spreading across many months to the destination(s) selected.

What else should I consider when choosing travel insurance?

You’ll need to consider your individual requirements also when choosing travel insurance as they may not be covered in your policy.

For example, will you be travelling home during the placement? If so, will trips between the host and home country be included or would you need additional cover?

Do you plan on travelling or taking any holidays during the placement? If so, are the trips covered, for example?

What else should I consider when choosing travel insurance?

To compare a wide range of travel insurance, use our travel insurance comparison service. Make sure to check the policy covers everything you’ll need on your trip.

Looking for a Quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and start saving

Get a quote