What travel insurance do I need for studying abroad?

If you’re heading overseas to study or for a work placement, travel insurance is probably the last thing on your mind. Nonetheless, it’s an important consideration for peace of mind and financial security.

Wouter Van Rijn From the Travel team
minute read

What does student travel insurance cover?

Travel insurance policies vary from provider to provider, but can cover a variety of things, including:

  • emergency medical treatment costs – policies usually cover the cost of getting you home after medical treatment abroad too (if you can’t use your original ticket). Plus, some policies cover the cost of a friend or relative flying out from home to support you and staying with you while you’re receiving treatment. A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to get medical treatment on the same basis (maybe free or at a low cost) as local people in countries within the EU
  • Lost, stolen or damaged baggage or other possessions
  • Delayed or cancelled flights
  • Holiday cancellation

Some policies might refund you if your trip is cancelled or cut short (cover will vary, depending on the policy)

What does student travel insurance cover?

Will my university or college offer travel insurance?

It’s possible that your university or college will offer student gap year insurance cover while you’re abroad. 

As the cover offered by colleges varies, and the situation of each student is different, it’s worth reading the details of the policy carefully.

Should I add extra cover to my travel insurance policy?

It depends on where in the world you’re headed, so you may want to add additional cover to your travel insurance or increase some of the maximum policy limits.  

Will you be working abroad? If so, consider whether your travel insurance will cover you in a workplace situation, as it’s unlikely that most policies will cover this.

Should I add extra cover to my travel insurance policy?

What type of cover do I need?

When deciding on a student travel insurance policy, you’ll need to consider the specifics of your itinerary, as well as your study or work placement requirements, to ensure you’re opting for a policy that meets your needs:

  • Single trip covers you for one trip (for one or multiple destinations). Cover starts when you leave your home in the UK and ends when you return home. There’s a maximum amount of time that you can be away on one trip for – this is typically 31 days
  • Annual cover can also be known as a multi-trip policy. It’s normally purchased on an annual basis and will commence from your selected start date. During your multi-trip policy, you’re able to travel multiple times to your selected destination(s) over the course of a year, with the cover starting and finishing in the UK
  • Backpacker trip offers cover for a single trip, usually spreading across many months to the destination(s) selected
  • Sports travel insurance 
  • Extreme Sports Travel Insurance 

What else should I consider when choosing student travel insurance?

You’ll need to consider your individual requirements when choosing travel insurance as they may not be covered in your policy.

For example, will you be travelling home during the placement? If so, will trips between the host and home be included or would you need additional cover?

Do you plan on travelling or taking any holidays to popular travel destinations during the placement? If so, find out if the trips are covered. 

What else should I consider when choosing student travel insurance?

Where can I compare student travel insurance? 

If you’re thinking about a student policy, it’s worth using our travel insurance comparison service to compare multiple student travel insurance policies all in one place. You can compare features and prices, to see which policy suits your needs. 

Looking for a quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote