[]   Your account

Compare travel insurance for Switzerland

Alpine views and winter sports are just two reasons why Switzerland is a popular holiday destination. Whether you’re going with family or friends, it’s important you get travel insurance to give you peace of mind on your trip.

Alpine views and winter sports are just two reasons why Switzerland is a popular holiday destination. Whether you’re going with family or friends, it’s important you get travel insurance to give you peace of mind on your trip.

Patrick Ikhena
From the Travel team
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Posted 2 APRIL 2020

Why do I need travel insurance for Switzerland?

It’s important to have travel insurance wherever your destination, and Switzerland is no exception. Having cover means you have financial protection against the cost of medical care, theft and other potential losses.

It’s a good idea to take out travel insurance when you book your holiday so that you can claim back the cost if you need to cancel your trip due to unforeseen circumstances, such as illness or bereavement.

If your belongings are stolen, you’ll need to report it to the police to help you make a successful claim. It’s important to check your policy’s single item limit – this is the most you can claim for any one item that is lost or stolen.

If you plan to ski or snowboard in Switzerland then you will need cover for winter sports.


On 02 October 2020, the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) updated the list of countries that are exempt from its ongoing advice against all non-essential international travel.

If you choose to travel overseas to a destination where the FCDO is advising against non-essential travel at the time of your departure, then your insurance policy will be invalid, and any claim likely to be rejected.

For domestic travel, please check the local public health rules for the destination you wish to travel to within the United Kingdom.

For more information, please see our coronavirus and travel insurance page.

Customers with more serious pre-existing medical conditions

Our panel includes insurance providers who quote cover for all medical conditions declared on our website, with no exclusions.

The Money and Pension Service (MaPs) has also launched a directory of insurance providers, who may be able to provide quotes over the phone, if you have more serious medical conditions. Find more information at the Money Advice Service or by calling the British Insurance Brokers Association on 0370 950 1790.

What type of travel insurance do I need when visiting Switzerland?

If you’re travelling to Switzerland then you’ll need European travel insurance as either a single-trip or annual multi-trip policy. A single-trip policy tends to cover you for 30-days and a multi-trip policy will cover more than one trip in a 12-month period. Some providers may offer an extended single trip policy if you plan to stay for a longer period than 30 days. Alternatively, you may need to consider backpackers insurance.

If you’re travelling as a group, with up to 10 people, then you can get a group travel insurance policy or a family policy. If you buy a family travel policy, your children may be covered at no extra cost by some providers. You’ll still need to provide details of everyone who is travelling.

If you’re taking part in any winter sports, such as snowboarding or ski-ing then you’ll need a winter sports travel insurance policy, which will offer more comprehensive cover than a standard policy. With winter sports insurance you’ll have cover for:

  • loss of ski pass
  • avalanche delay
  • piste closure for more than 24 hours
  • personal liability should you injure someone else.

Check your policy to see what winter sports activities are covered as it varies between providers.

What else do I need to know when travelling to Switzerland?

Visa: if you’re a British citizen with a valid passport, then you won’t need a visa to travel to Switzerland.

Currency: the Swiss Franc is the national currency in Switzerland

Language: Switzerland has four national languages: German, French, Italian and Romansh. What language you hear will depend on which border you’re closest to. For example, if you’re visiting the west Switzerland, you’ll hear more French. When you’re closer to the southern border, you’ll hear more Italian.

Transport: if you plan to travel around Switzerland by train, consider getting a Swiss Rail pass, which can be more cost effective then getting individual tickets.

EHIC: A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)**** gives you access to state-provided healthcare that may be necessary while you’re on holiday on the same terms as a local. However, it’s not a replacement for travel insurance and it won’t cover you for treatment at a private hospital. If you need medical attention, go to a state medical facility first and tell your insurance provider. They will give you advice on what additional private treatment might be covered by your policy. You can get an EHIC card free via the NHS.

****UK residents can use their EHIC after the 31 January during the transition phase of the UK leaving the EU. This means that the EHIC can continued to be used in the same way until the 31 December 2020. What happens to the status of the EHIC after the transition phase will be decided as part of the negotiations on the future UK-EU relationship.

Looking for a quote?

Compare travel insurance deals with our easy-to-use comparison service to help you get the right level of cover ahead of your trip.

Looking for a quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Compare travel insurance Get a quote

comparethemarket.com uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.