Compare European
breakdown cover

text text
Compare European Breakdown Cover

Looking for MEERKAT MOVIES tickets or toys?

Breakdown cover is not a qualifying product; however, compare prices now and find the right cover for you.

All you need to know about European Breakdown cover

Breaking down anywhere is rarely an enjoyable experience, and that’s especially true if you’re far from home. That’s doubly true if you find yourself in another country where language barriers, different road laws and an unfamiliar environment only add to an already stressful situation.

Luckily, if you drive a lot in Europe for business or pleasure, it’s now easier than ever to opt for European breakdown cover. In many cases it can simply be added to the UK breakdown cover you may already have (or added to your insurance in many cases) – whether you drive a car, a van, a motorbike.

European breakdown cover
Frequently thought questions

Thousands of drivers choose to buy European breakdown cover to help them get back on the road – or safely off it – if something goes wrong.

There are quite a few things to consider when buying European breakdown cover so to find out more, read on.

How does breakdown cover work?

When your car breaks down, you call your breakdown provider. They take down the details of where you are and roughly what the problem is, and send a recovery vehicle to you. They will do their best to fix the problem and get you back on the road.

If they are unable to fix it at the side of the road, ‘onward journey’ cover will take you and your car to a garage of your choice, your destination or a local hotel (depending on your level of cover). Some providers will even cover some or all of the costs in getting you and your car all the way home to the UK.

Is European breakdown cover included in my existing policy?

When checking your existing policy, make sure that you have insurance to drive in Europe before getting your breakdown cover. European cover could be included as part of your existing breakdown policy – ¬check the terms and conditions. If it’s not, you can buy European breakdown cover as a single, standalone policy.

Some UK car insurance policies may automatically cover you to drive within the EU, but it’s best to check what level of cover you have before setting off.

What features can European breakdown cover include?

Specific details will vary from policy to policy, so always check what the cover includes before purchasing and setting off on your trip.

The following features are typically associated with European breakdown cover:

1. Home start: Offers cover if your car breaks down before you even set off on your trip.

2. Roadside assistance: A recovery vehicle will try to fix your car by the side of the road. If this isn’t possible, it will be taken to a nearby garage.

3. Garage labour costs: To cover all or some of the costs of repairing your car at a garage.

4. Onward travel: This includes a means of continuing your journey. For example, some policies provide a replacement car while yours is at the garage, some offer reimbursement of public transport costs, and some even cover accommodation costs.

5. Vehicle repatriation: To cover all or some of the costs of returning your car to the UK if it can’t be fixed.

What are the different cover options?

When you’re choosing your cover, make sure you look at the details carefully and check the policy offers everything that you need. Consider whether the countries you’re planning to visit are included and what would be included should you breakdown.

Depending on how often you will be going away, you can either buy single trip or multi-trip cover:

Single trip European cover: if you only leave the country once or twice or year, you could look at single trip European breakdown cover, which you can buy as a one-off. It could work out cheaper than buying a full annual policy.

Multi-trip (annual) cover: provides cover for as many trips that you make in a year, up to 90 days in total. There may also be a limitation on consecutive days.

What else should I consider?

Some providers offer to take you all the way home to the UK if something goes wrong – and some don’t, so make sure you know exactly what you’re getting for your money.

Other things to be aware of are that some providers won’t cover you if you are regularly driving to a holiday home on the continent, so if this is you, do check that carefully. And if you usually bring your caravan it will be much trickier to tow you, so some providers won’t cover this.

Why compare with

Whether you decide to opt for cheap breakdown cover or want to spend a little more to make sure you aren’t left stranded or out of pocket, we can help you compare quotes.

We’ll list your options in a table – starting with the cheapest quote – with an at-a-glance guide to the main benefits of each.

Some policies might offer priority for vulnerable motorists, such as those travelling on their own with children on board, or have faster average response times than others. Others may offer other discounts to their customers, such as half price MOTs, so choose the provider that best suits your needs.

When you’ve chosen the breakdown cover that best suits you, just click on the ‘buy now’ button and it will take you to the provider’s website to do the rest.

Related products - the easier way to save

Hello from the UK!

We want to make sure you get to the right place, and noticed you appear to be visiting us from Australia.

If you would prefer to visit our Australian site, please just follow the link below.

Go to our Australian site

Or, continue to our UK site