Specific details will vary from policy to policy, so always check what the cover includes before purchasing and setting off on your trip.
The following features are typically associated with European breakdown cover:
1. Home start: Offers cover if your car breaks down before you even set off on your trip.
2. Roadside assistance: A recovery vehicle will try to fix your car by the side of the road. If this isn’t possible, it will be taken to a nearby garage.
3. Garage labour costs: To cover all or some of the costs of repairing your car at a garage.
4. Onward travel: This includes a means of continuing your journey. For example, some policies provide a replacement car while yours is at the garage, some offer reimbursement of public transport costs, and some even cover accommodation costs.
5. Vehicle repatriation: To cover all or some of the costs of returning your car to the UK if it can’t be fixed.