UK Travel Insurance

After the uncertainty around Brexit, more Brits are choosing to stay closer to home for their holidays. With the impact of coronavirus in 2020, that trend may well continue, as people are more cautious about international travel and travel restrictions remain in place.

After the uncertainty around Brexit, more Brits are choosing to stay closer to home for their holidays. With the impact of coronavirus in 2020, that trend may well continue, as people are more cautious about international travel and travel restrictions remain in place.

Josh Daniels
From the Travel team
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Posted 22 MAY 2020

Do I need travel insurance for the UK?

If you’re thinking about a ‘staycation’, you should still consider taking out UK holiday insurance, just as you would consider travel insurance for a holiday abroad. Although you may not need to worry about medical cover as you would for a holiday abroad, as you’ll still be able to receive NHS care and treatment; you may still want to be covered for things like cancellations and baggage loss or damage.

Please note: most hotels in the UK are currently closed during the coronavirus pandemic. The Government has outlined plans for the re-opening of the hospitality and leisure industry, but these are subject to change and will likely involve social distancing measures, which may impact your travel plans.


A travel traffic light system has been introduced for international travel. From 19 July 2021, trips to green and amber listed countries are legally permitted if you live in England and Scotland. However, you’ll still need to fulfil any pre-departure requirements, such as testing. If you live in Wales and Northern Ireland, you still need to follow the rules for your relevant local authority.

If a country is on the green or amber list, you still need to check the latest travel advice and entry requirements for each country you visit or transit through. This is to ensure you’re aware of any specific requirements relating to entry and to check travellers from the UK are permitted. Countries can have their traffic light status changed at short notice and you should take this into consideration when looking to travel. Please check the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advice for the latest information.

The FCDO currently advises against all but essential travel to red listed countries. Should you choose to travel against the FCDO rules, you will not be covered by any travel insurance policy you purchase. Some providers do offer cover for international travel if you’re travelling for essential purposes, however most do not. In all cases, should you have any queries please check the policy wording or contact your chosen provider before purchasing to ensure the cover meets your needs.

Travel within England, Scotland and Wales is permitted under the current guidelines. However, public health rules and lockdown restrictions continue to vary, including entry restrictions for Northern Ireland. Check the latest guidance from the official tourism boards for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Find out more here

Customers with more serious pre-existing medical conditions

Our panel includes insurance providers who quote cover for all medical conditions declared on our website, with no exclusions.

The Money and Pensions Service (MaPs) has launched a directory of insurance providers on its Money Advice Service website that may be able to provide quotes over the phone, if you have more serious medical conditions. Find more information at the Money Advice Service or by calling the British Insurance Brokers’ Association on 0370 950 1790.

What does travel insurance for the UK cover?

While, as mentioned before, you won’t need to be as concerned about medical expenses on a UK travel insurance policy, there are many other benefits of getting cover for your staycation.

Transport/flight cancellations and delays - You may need to take a domestic flight, train journey, ferry crossing or coach to your holiday destination. Travel insurance could cover the costs of any cancellations or delays during your trip.

Holiday cancellation - If you have to cancel your UK booking for reasons beyond your control, holiday cancellation cover may be able to help you get your money back. Check the policy T&Cs carefully as the reasons for cancellation covered vary between different insurance providers.

Holiday curtailment - Similarly, if you have to cut your staycation short, due to illness, injury or another specified reason, you can recover costs for the holiday you missed out on.

Lost, stolen or damaged luggage - If you’re unfortunate enough to lose your baggage, have it stolen or damaged, you can claim for your belongings, to cover the cost of replacing them.

Baggage insurance is usually included in a standard travel insurance policy, and can cover valuables that you take with you, such as mobiles, tablets and jewellery, if your bags are lost or stolen.

Personal liability - If you’re held responsible for causing damages or injury to another person while on holiday, this can cover legal expenses.

What other types of travel insurance should staycationers consider?

A UK holiday insurance policy should cover you for cancellations, whether it’s for transport or accommodation reservations. Make sure you read your policy carefully to ensure you’re fully aware of the circumstances that you can claim for, to avoid any surprises. Generally, you should be able to claim for the accommodation being at fault, or ‘acts of God’ such as natural disasters, force your accommodation or transport to close.

Are you already covered? 

Before buying UK travel insurance, check to see if you already have appropriate cover in place:

  • Your contents insurance policy may include ‘all-risks cover’ for personal possessions that are lost or stolen outside the home.
  • You may also be able to add ‘away from home’ cover to your home insurance for a little extra cost.
  • If you already have an annual travel insurance policy check to see if it covers personal possessions loss, and cancellation costs for a UK holiday. If it already provides the cover you need, you might not need to take out a separate policy.

What other types of travel insurance should staycationers consider?

Whether you’re planning a white-water rafting trip to Wales, or are travelling around the UK for business, you may want to consider specific cover to suit your needs:

  • If you’re into extreme sports, dedicated sports insurance can offer a higher level of cover than standard travel insurance.
  • If you’re skiing or snowboarding at Glenshee, consider Winter sports protection.
  • If you’re planning a golf holiday at one of the many resorts around the UK, golf travel insurance can be included to cover your golfing equipment and even personal liability.
  • If you travel the UK on business, business trip insurance may offer more comprehensive cover than standard travel insurance.

Compare insurance for your UK staycation

Start a quote today. We’ll help you compare insurance providers and find the most competitive quotes to suit your UK holiday.

Compare travel insurance and find out how much you could save.

Looking for a quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Compare travel insurance Get a quote