Travel insurance

With so many options available, it can be hard to find the best travel insurance. Compare quotes today to find the cover that works for you.

Start a quote Go to your account

[1] Based on Compare the Market Data for a single trip travel policy for a 20 year old with no pre-existing medical conditions travelling in Europe for 2 nights. Prices correct as of January, 2023.

We work with 42 trusted travel insurance brands[2], including:

[2] Correct as of December, 2022.

Why is travel insurance important?

Travel insurance is important because it provides protection against a variety of incidents that could be very expensive to cover yourself. For example, if you suffer a medical emergency, the medical costs abroad could run into thousands of pounds. You could also be forced to extend your stay or repatriate, both of which would wreak havoc on your existing travel plans and be very expensive.

The right travel insurance policy can protect you against all that risk. It can give you peace of mind, knowing that you’ll be looked after both physically and financially.

Travel insurance policies best suited to your trip

Picking the best holiday insurance policy for you depends on the type of cover you need. Types of policy include:

Annual multi-trip

If you’re taking two or more holidays or work trips a year, this is likely to be the most cost-effective way to get travel insurance cover.

Read more about annual travel insurance

Cruise travel insurance

Whether your ship misses a port stop because of bad weather or you’re taken ill at sea, cruise travel insurance could cover you.

Read more about cruise travel insurance

Single trip

A single-trip travel insurance policy could be the cheapest way of getting the travel cover you need, covering you for one short trip.

Read more about single trip travel insurance

Backpacker insurance

Backpacker insurance is a type of cover aimed at people who plan to travel for long periods, often to multiple countries in one trip.

Read more about travel insurance for backpackers

Winter sports cover

Cover for skiing, snowboarding or other winter activities. This type of policy could also cover equipment like skis and snowboards.

Read more about winter sports travel insurance

Business travel insurance

Get insurance designed around your needs as a business traveller, from protecting your laptop to covering extra travel expenses.

Read more about business travel Insurance

Expert tools, tips and guides

With excellent customer reviews and huge market coverage, our impartial and rewarding comparison service represents the best choice for travel insurance price comparison.

What does travel insurance cover?

What’s typically covered?

  • Lost baggage – if your baggage is lost on its way to your destination, baggage cover allows you to claim for its full or partial value.
  • Theft – this will insure your luggage or personal belongings to and from your destination, as well as while you’re out and about on holiday.
  • Cancellation cover – offers cover if you need to cancel your travel plans at the last minute due to injury or illness, or perhaps a bereavement.
  • Medical expenses – if you’re injured or fall ill while you’re away.
  • Emergency repatriation – if you or a family member are injured or fall seriously ill abroad, emergency repatriation can cover the costs of bringing you home.
  • Delays – if bad weather, strikes or breakdown disrupt your flight or ferry, for example, you can claim for delays over a stated length of time.

What’s typically not covered

  • Changing your mind – if you decide you don’t want to travel, it’s unlikely you’ll be compensated unless it’s due to circumstances out of your control.
  • Missed flight – you won’t be covered if it’s your fault you’ve missed the flight. For example, if you don’t leave enough time to get through security.
  • Pre-existing medical conditions – you might need a specialist policy for a pre-existing medical condition as not all providers offer this cover in a standard policy.
  • Accidents under the influence – most travel insurance policies won’t pay out if you have an accident while you’re under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
  • Extreme sports – it’s important to check which sporting activities your holiday insurance covers as you may need a specialist policy for riskier sports.
  • Natural disasters – if a natural disaster has been announced and you still choose to book a holiday, you won’t be covered by your policy.

How to get cheaper travel insurance

Here are some of the most important things to consider when looking for the best travel insurance deal for you:

Compare quotes

Shop around to see how different policies and prices compare. Don’t let annual policies automatically renew.

Get the best policy for you

Make sure you have the right cover for the type of trip you’re taking, your destination and the activities you’ll be doing.

Only pay for what you need

Get the right amount of cover, but don’t buy add-ons you don’t need. For example, if you’re not taking expensive gadgets with you, don’t buy extra cover for them.

Customers with pre-existing medical conditions

It’s vital to have medical cover if you’re travelling with a pre-existing medical condition, such as diabetes or cancer. You may need healthcare while you’re away and the costs of paying for it out of your own pocket could be enormous.

Not all providers will offer cover for pre-existing conditions as standard, so you may need a specialist policy. We can help make your search easier: when you declare medical conditions on our website, we’ll only show quotes from insurance providers who will cover all declared medical conditions, with no exclusions. Remember, it’s vital that you give the insurance provider honest, accurate information about any medical conditions you have – if you don’t, you risk invalidating your policy.

Upgrade your holiday cover options

Depending on what you’re going to be doing while you’re away and your personal needs, you might want to consider the following add-ons to your holiday insurance policy: 

  • Travel gadget insurance – to cover loss, theft or damage of devices like phones, tablets and gaming handhelds. Check exactly what’s covered before you buy. 
  • Terrorism cover – offers cover if you have to cancel or cut short your trip because a terrorist act is committed within a set distance of where you’re staying. 
  • Natural disaster cover – offers cover if your trip is affected by a natural disaster, like volcanic ash, earthquakes, floods or hurricanes. 
  • Travel connection delays – cover if you miss a connecting flight or ferry, for example, because your original transport was delayed. 
  • Travel disruption – can offer extended cover if the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) changes its travel advice, or if strikes or industrial action mean your transport is cancelled.
  • Extreme sports – if you’re planning on going paragliding, ballooning, skiing or taking part in water sports, you may need additional cover. 
  • Wedding cover – additional cover for your wedding dress, rings and gifts, for example. 
Author image Josh Daniels

What our expert says...

“While it can be tempting to go for the cheapest policy to cut your travel costs, you need to look at what levels of protection the policy offers. Cheaper plans may have lower levels of cover and you may be expected to pay more towards a claim too.”

- Josh Daniels, Travel insurance expert

It’s easy to compare travel insurance

Give us a few details

Tell us where and when you’re going, and what type of cover you need.

We’ll search for quotes

We’ll show you a list of quotes, so you can choose the right travel insurance for your needs.

Buy your policy

Read the policy carefully before you buy to make sure it provides all the cover you need. Then relax and enjoy your trip.

Don’t just take our word for it, join thousands of other happy savers who Comparethemarket

As of January 2023 Compare the Market had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 23,670 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’. Find out more

Travel insurance for popular destinations

Click the links below to find out more about travel insurance for popular travel destinations including...

Frequently asked questions

How much is travel insurance?

When comparing travel insurance with Comparethemarket, you could get cheap travel insurance for 1 week in Europe from just £5.65[3]

However, it depends on the level of cover you choose, how long you’re away and where you’re travelling to. The best value travel insurance isn’t necessarily the cheapest or the most expensive – what matters is that the policy suits your needs. 

[3] Based on Compare the Market Data for a single trip travel policy for a 20 year old with no pre-existing medical conditions travelling in Europe for 1 week. Prices correct as of January 2023.

Has Brexit affected travel insurance?

Yes, Brexit introduced several changes for travellers between the UK and EU:

  • You now need to have at least six months left on your passport to visit countries in the EU.
  • If you’re a tourist, you’ll only be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.
  • If you’re planning on taking your car abroad or hiring a vehicle, you’ll need the right driving documents.
  • Your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) is still valid until the date of expiry, but will be replaced by the GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card). It’s still recommended to make sure your travel insurance gives you an adequate level of cover.

See more on the changes that Brexit brings for travellers.

Do I need travel insurance if I have a European Health Insurance Card or Global Health Insurance Card?

Yes, because these cards won’t offer you cover for other emergencies such as cancellation, theft or loss of baggage.

And while the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card) provides help with necessary medical care, you shouldn’t presume this offers you the same protection as travel insurance. For example, it won’t cover you for emergency repatriation if you need to be returned to the UK for specialist medical care. 

Can I get travel insurance for the UK?

Yes, you can get travel insurance for trips in the UK.

The NHS will cover your medical needs, but it’s possible that an internal flight or train might be cancelled, your hotel closed or your baggage lost or damaged. Or you may need to cancel your trip because of ill health or bereavement. Travel insurance could cover you for all these things. 

Will travel insurance cover lost passports?

Yes, while you should always check your policy beforehand, most travel insurance will cover you for lost or stolen passports.

If your passport is lost or stolen, it’s important that you report this quickly and apply for an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) to minimise the disruption to your holiday. Keep any reference numbers when you report the loss/theft, as these will be needed when claiming on your insurance. 

Can I still get travel insurance if I have a medical condition?

Yes, you can still get travel insurance even if you have a medical condition, although you might need to look for a specialist provider.

See more on travel insurance with medical conditions with some specialist advice if you have cancer or heart conditions.

Can I get travel insurance when I am already on holiday?

Yes, although you should arrange cover before you set off, you may be able to buy specialist travel insurance after you’ve departed.

Your circumstances and whether you intend to make a claim will be taken into account, and there may be a waiting period to prevent you from making an immediate claim. 

Can travel insurance be extended?

Yes, many providers will let you extend your cover if you decide to make your holiday last a little longer.

You should let your provider know as soon as possible and avoid letting your cover expire, as this might make an extension more complicated.

What does doubling up on travel insurance mean?

Doubling up on insurance means that you’ve taken out more than one type of cover.

This might be because you’ve taken out a travel insurance policy but also have cover from another source, such as a bank or credit card provider.

Having two forms of cover doesn’t mean you’ll get twice the pay-out. And doubling up could delay your claim being processed, as both providers may ask each other to cover the cost. So, it’s not usually an advantage to be ‘double’ insured.

How can I make a claim on my travel insurance?

If you need to make a claim on your travel insurance, here’s what to do:   

Have your policy and travel documents with you. 

Contact the police or relevant authority as soon as possible to get an official report if your claim is for theft or the result of any other criminal activity. 

Contact your insurance provider as soon as possible

Keep or request any evidence to support your claim. Make sure you have the necessary receipts, or police or medical reports.

Can I get travel insurance that covers coronavirus?

Yes, you can find and compare travel insurance policies with COVID-19 cover. All travel insurance providers on our panel offer emergency medical treatment and repatriation for COVID-19 related claims. You should also be able to find cover for holiday cancellations and accommodation costs if you’re forced to extend your stay.

When comparing travel insurance with us, you can find COVID-19 related inclusions under the ‘more details’ buttons of your results page.

Page last reviewed on 16/01/2023
by Josh Daniels