What might affect the cost of my 4x4 car insurance?
A number of factors are considered when calculating 4x4 car insurance including:
- your age
- your driving history
- the value of your vehicle and its insurance group
- class of use: social and domestic, commuting or business use
- where your vehicle is kept overnight
- your annual mileage
Frequently asked questions
Why is 4x4 car insurance so expensive?
Car insurance groups range from 1 to 50. Generally, the higher the group, the more expensive the car will be to insure. Most 4x4s fall into the 30 to 50 groups.
This is because heavier vehicles typically attract higher premiums. Although 4x4s are less likely to sustain damage in an accident, they’re more likely to cause damage to smaller vehicles due to their size and weight.
They can also be pricey to repair as the parts are often heavy duty. Suspension/axle repair costs for a Range Rover Sport can be as much as £3,863 compared to the average cost of £297, according to car warranty specialists MotorEasy.
How can I reduce the cost of my 4x4 car insurance?
As with any vehicle, there are ways to help reduce the cost of your 4x4 car insurance.
- Increase your voluntary excess Just make sure you can afford both the voluntary and compulsory excess in the event of a claim.
- Park your 4x4 off the road Parking on private land or in a garage means there’s less risk of your 4x4 being stolen or vandalised, so it might cut the cost of your premium.
- Limit your annual mileage All polices ask for a maximum annual mileage. Limiting the amount of miles you drive could help lower your premium, as there’s less risk of you being involved in an accident.
- Avoid modifications Any changes or upgrades you make to your 4x4 can have an impact on your insurance premium as they can increase the risk of your vehicle being stolen.
Even a tow bar counts as a modification if it hasn’t been fitted as part of the manufacturer’s standard factory settings.
Also bear in mind there are weight limits to what you can tow depending on when your driving licence was issued. Check our guide to towing, limits and insurance for more information.
For more ways to help lower your premium, check out our top tips for cheap car insurance.
Where can I compare 4x4 car insurance?
Comparing quotes with us only takes a few minutes of your time, and could save you up to £282** on your premium.
**Based on Online independent research by Consumer Intelligence during February 2020 50% of customers could save up to £282.66 on their car insurance premium.