Broadband postcode checker
If you’re looking for a broadband deal, you need to check what broadband is available in your area. Use our postcode checker to find out what deals you could get.
What are the best broadband deals available in my area?
The best broadband deals available to you largely depend on your budget, whether the types of broadband available tick all your boxes, and your internet needs.
Every household is different, so comparing the different deals available in your area is typically the best way to find an ideal internet package for your family’s needs.
- The type of broadband available in your area – are you happy with standard ADSL or is superfast fibre broadband available?
- Fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) or fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) – if fibre broadband is available in your area, which type is it? FTTC is much more widely available, and offers great average speeds of 50-70Mbps, but FTTP is a real game changer. Although FTTP isn’t as widely available as ADSL and FTTC connections, it provides the fastest broadband connection, including gigabit speeds (1,000Mbps).
- What speeds do you need? Are you into playing a lot of online video games?
- Do you want just broadband or do you want to bundle your broadband with a phone and TV package?
- What length of contract do you want? Are there fees for leaving your contract early?
- Are incentives, gifts and good customer service important to you?
What is the fastest broadband available in my area?
If your current broadband speed is slower than your neighbours’ down the street, you might want to check whether you can get a faster connection.
Use our broadband speed test to find out how fast the internet is in your home or office. Once you have the results, you’ll also see the fastest broadband speeds in your area, allowing you to compare and potentially find a faster broadband service.
Don’t just take our word for it, join thousands of other happy savers who Comparethemarket
As of November 2022, Comparethemarket had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 22,897 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’ Find out more
What broadband providers are available in my area?
To find out which broadband providers are available in your area, our broadband area checker should be your first stop. Just enter your postcode and we’ll show you the providers available in your area, along with the speeds and prices they offer.
At Compare the Market, we work with a range of leading UK broadband providers to get you the latest deals at a great price. Compare broadband deals from the big providers like Virgin Media, BT and Plusnet.
We also work with a growing number of other providers including John Lewis, Hyperoptic and Gigaclear, and mobile broadband providers such as EE and Vodafone.
The broadband market is extremely competitive, so the chances of finding a good deal are pretty high. Many providers also throw in gifts and incentives such as rewards cards, smart speakers, tablets or even cashback. They’re nice as a little bonus, but don’t let freebies distract you from the deal itself.
What do I need to consider when choosing the best broadband package?
When looking for the best broadband package for you, think about:
- Internet usage – how many people in your household use the internet, and are you often connected at the same time.
- Availability – the type of broadband you can get depends on where you live. Use our postcode checker to see which deals are available in your area.
- Download speed – if you’re a heavy gamer or stream a lot of programmes and music, then a higher Mb/s will be better for your needs. Check your current broadband speed to see if providers in your area can offer something faster.
- Bundles – do you want to include TV and/or phone with your broadband? It could be convenient to have them all in one bill and can often work out cheaper.
- Setup costs – some providers charge for new equipment and installation, but not all do. Check the advertised deals to see if there are any setup costs to pay.
- Contract length – most deals are for 12, 18 or 24 months, although you can get flexible deals on a rolling monthly basis. Just be aware that short-term broadband deals can be more expensive.
- Overall cost – advertised deals will show how much you’ll pay each month, as well as a total cost for the first year.
- Freebies – often deals come with extra goodies like gift cards or cashback. While it’s a nice bonus, try not to let it influence your buying decision.
- Customer service – check out online reviews, to see how providers perform when a problem comes up. It’ll give you a good idea of their level of customer service.
Why should I use the broadband availability postcode checker?
Our postcode checker could save you an awful lot of time and hassle by only showing the broadband deals available where you live.
It’s no good comparing the cheapest or fastest broadband deals nationwide, only to find out they’re not available in your area.
Many households in the UK could be paying too much for their broadband. By using our postcode checker, you can quickly find out if there’s a cheaper deal available to you.
Other reasons to use our postcode checker:
- You want to upgrade to a faster broadband connection.
- You don’t use the internet much and want to downgrade to a slower package.
- You’re moving home and you want to check what broadband deals are available in your new location.
It’s also a good way of comparing what you’re paying now with the latest deals, to see if you could save by switching.
How does the broadband area checker work?
Compare the Market’s broadband availability tool is a postcode checker that offers a quick and simple way of finding what broadband deals are available in your area:
- Just pop in your postcode and the name of your current provider, if you have one, and the type of broadband service you want.
- In a matter of seconds, you should get a list of broadband deals available in your area.
- You’ll then be able to compare providers for your area based on a range of factors including price, type of broadband service available, average speeds and contract length. All the broadband deals we compare include unlimited data, so you don’t need to worry about blowing through a data cap and being charged extra.
What our expert says...
“When you’ve found out what broadband deals are available in your area, it’s also worth considering packages. If you’re a movie, sports and TV fan, a bundled broadband, phone and TV package could work out cheaper than separate products.
“Some providers even offer discounts if you bundle broadband with your phone and TV. You’d also have the convenience of everything coming under one monthly bill.”
- Holly Cox, Digital expert
Why use Comparethemarket?
|Compare deals from a whole range of broadband providers||Rated 4.8/5 On Trustpilot|
 As of October 2022, Comparethemarket had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 22,236 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’.Start compare
Frequently asked questions
Is broadband available everywhere?
Almost every home in the UK should be able to get standard ADSL broadband, but speeds and availability can vary across the country.
According to the latest Ofcom figures:
- Almost all UK properties can now get decent broadband – at least 10 megabits per second (Mbps) download and 1 Mbps upload speeds.
- Superfast broadband with download speeds of at least 30 Mbps is available to 96% of the UK.
- Ultrafast broadband with download speeds of 300 Mbps is available to 62% of UK homes and businesses.
- Full fibre broadband is now available to over 8.2 million homes (28%) across the UK.
- Gigabit-capable broadband with download speeds of 1 Gbit/s or higher, is now available to around 13.7 million (47%) UK homes.
- Just 0.4% of the UK – mostly rural areas – is still unable to get download speeds of at least 10 Mbps and an upload speed of 1 Mbps
If you live in one of the few areas that still can’t get decent broadband, you might be eligible for the Broadband Universal Service. This gives you the right to request a decent and affordable broadband service.
Find out more about the Broadband Universal Service on Ofcom’s information page.
Why does broadband availability differ in different areas?
Broadband availability can vary a lot between different areas, and even between different homes with the same postcode. There are several reasons for this, including how far your home is from the nearest exchange, the type of infrastructure available to you (ADSL, FTTC or FTTP), and even the type of property you live in.
If you live in a remote area, you might find you can only get ADSL via your copper phone line rather than faster fibre broadband. It could be that the network providers can’t justify the costs of laying cables to supply such a small population or are unable to carry out the work in protected conservation areas.
Surprisingly, some densely populated areas like parts of London may also have limited broadband availability – mainly because of the difficulty in laying cables in such busy locations. Large blocks of flats may also have a limited choice of broadband options, as may many new homes that were built in recent years without the infrastructure for fibre broadband services.
How do broadband speeds differ between areas?
It all depends on the cables that connect to your home. If you’re in a particularly remote area, you may only have access to an ADSL connection, which relies entirely on the traditional copper phone lines to transmit your data. These copper lines can’t maintain high performance over long distances, which means the further you are from your street cabinet, the slower your connection. Average ADSL broadband speeds are about 10Mbps.
However, fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) connections are widely available across the UK now. These connections use fibre-optic cables to the street cabinet, before the final leg of the journey uses the copper line. This still means that your speed might suffer if you live far from the cabinet, but the connection that feeds that cabinet is much quicker. If you live in pretty much any town or city in the UK, it’s likely you’ll have access to a FTTC connection. FTTC speeds usually average between 50-70Mbps.
Finally, fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) connections are the fastest of the fast. With the fibre-optic cables plugged directly into your home, the connection is consistently ultrafast, resulting in average speeds of up to 1,000Mbps. However, the cables need to be connected directly to your home. This requires a lot of new cabling being laid, which takes time and money. For now, FTTP connections are only available in larger towns and cities, but this will improve over time.
What’s the cheapest broadband in my area?
If you’re just looking for the cheapest broadband, a good place to start is our broadband comparison tool. Just enter your postcode and we’ll compare broadband deals available in your area with all our providers. From there, you can filter your results to show the cheapest at the top and choose whichever you like.
Just be aware, by going with just the cheapest broadband deal, you could really be missing out on speed. ADSL connections are generally the cheapest, but only offer average speeds of around 10 Mbps. Fibre broadband offers speeds of around 50-70 Mbps, a huge leap in performance, and don’t normally cost that much extra now. So, don’t just decide based on price, as you could easily triple (or even better) your speeds for just a few pounds more a month.
It's worth taking a look at bundled broadband and phone deals. Most broadband packages need a landline anyway, and it could often work out cheaper than paying for your home phone and internet separately. You can find fibre unlimited and phone deals through us for as little as £20 per month.
If you’re on a low income and receive certain government benefits like Universal Credit, you might qualify for a social broadband tariff. These are much cheaper than standard tariffs – around £10 to £20 per month – and offer an affordable way to get the internet you need. Only a handful of providers offer social tariffs though, so your options may be limited.
Is fibre broadband available in my area?
With 96% of the UK now having access to superfast broadband, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to get it.
Use our broadband checker to find out if there are fibre broadband deals in your area – and if not, what the fastest broadband alternatives are.
How easy is it to switch if I find a good deal in my area?
Switching broadband is pretty simple. Once you decide to switch, your new provider should take care of the whole transfer for you. However, if you’re switching between completely different types of broadband (for example, cable broadband provided by Virgin to a fibre-optic service provided by BT or vice versa), your old service can’t be switched automatically, and you’ll need to cancel with your existing provider and start a new contract with your new provider.
If you want to switch before your old contract ends, check whether there’s an early cancellation fee to pay. If your broadband speed falls below the guaranteed minimum promised by your provider, you may not need to pay this.
Find out more in our guide to switching broadband providers
How can I compare broadband deals in my area?
Use our postcode checker to find the best broadband deals available in your area. You can then compare deals based on monthly cost, speeds, data allowance, contract length and more.
We know comparing insurance and utilities isn’t much fun. So at Comparethemarket it’s all about keeping it simple. We help you find the right product at the right price. And you can trust us to be impartial – we only make money when you switch or take out a new product, so it’s in our interests to help you make the right choice. Comparing with us is about the enjoyable stuff too – we love to reward you with Meerkat Meals and Meerkat Movies when you take out selected products with us.*
Good things happen when you Meerkat
Search for the right insurance for you, at the right price, with our comparison service. Plus, we could help you save on broadband, mobile phones, credit cards, mortgages, loans and more.
- See if you can save time and money when you use our helpful tools
- Feel organised when you manage all of your quotes in one place
- Get rewarded with Meerkat Meals and Meerkat Movies when you compare and take out qualifying products*
Helping you is the heart of our business
We make money when we’ve helped you switch or take out a new quote. When you’ve found your new supplier or provider through us, we get a fee or commission from them. The amount we receive doesn’t change the price you pay.
Impartial results from top providers
So you can see our cheapest quotes, we order our results from the lowest to highest with no bias towards providers. We work with many of the UK's top providers to find you great deals.
Find out more on our About us page.
Got a question? Contact us