Skip to content
Carl the Wombat's face in the rear view mirror of a van. A frog air freshener hangs from the mirror
Van drivers view of a road Carl the Wombat's face in the rear view mirror of a van. A frog air freshener hangs from the mirror

Van insurance


  • Enjoy a year of fantastic rewards, on us*

^ Based on online independent research by Consumer Intelligence during February 2024, 51% of customers could achieve this saving on their Van insurance through Compare the Market.

We compare prices from 31 trusted van insurance providers[2], including:

[2] Correct as of March 2024.

What is van insurance?

Van insurance is tailored to protect your van against the risks of being on the road. Just like car insurance, by law you must have at least third-party insurance for your van.

The type of van insurance you need depends on how you use your van, what type of van it is and whether it’s for private or business/commercial use.

What information do I need to compare van insurance?

To compare van insurance quotes, you’ll need to give us:

Your vehicle details

Including the registration number, the van’s make and model, and details of any modifications. Your V5C document should have this information. You’ll also need to tell us how you use your van (for example, for business or leisure).

Your personal details

Including your name, age, address and job.

Your driving history

Including any no-claims discount you’ve built up, any driving convictions and previous claims history.

How much is van insurance?

Van insurance could cost less than:

£804 per year[3]

£66.97[3] per month (excluding interest)

Van insurance for drivers aged under 25 could cost less than:

£1,968[4] per year

£163.96[4] per month (excluding interest)

Your premium will depend on a range of factors, including:

  • The type of van you own
  • What you use your van for
  • How far you drive it
  • Where the van is kept
  • Your driving history.

[3] 51% of our customers were quoted less than £803.62 a year for their van insurance, or £66.97 per month.
[4] 51% of our young drivers were quoted less than £1,967.46 a year for their van insurance, or £163.96 per month.

Based on Compare the Market data in March 2024. Monthly cost is based on the annual lump-sum payment, excluding any interest charged on monthly instalments.

Why compare van insurance with Compare the Market?

We search van insurance from 31 leading providers[2]

51% of customers could save up to £630[1]

Insurance for all van types

[2] Correct as of March 2024.

[1] Based on online independent research by Consumer Intelligence during February 2024, 51% of customers could achieve this saving on their Van insurance through Compare the Market.

Join thousands of Trustpilot reviewers who save with Compare the Market

As of April 2nd 2024, Compare the Market had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 41,487 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’. Find out more

Types of van insurance

Private van insurance

Private van insurance is for drivers who use their van for social, domestic or pleasure purposes – in other words, anything but business. For example, to transport stuff that won’t fit in a car boot for your favourite sport or pastime.

See more on private van insurance

Commercial van insurance

Also known as business van insurance, you’ll need this if you use your van for work, commuting, and travel to or from more than one business location.

There are two main types of commercial van insurance: carriage of own goods (tools of your trade) and haulage (goods you’re delivering).

See more on commercial van insurance

Haulage van insurance

Covers you for delivering large loads over long distances, typically to one fixed destination.

When looking for courier van insurance quotes with Compare the Market, simply choose the ‘Haulage (carriage of goods for hire or reward)’ option.

Courier van insurance

Courier van insurance comes as a tailored package, allowing you to add cover for the goods you deliver, as well as public liability and employers’ liability cover.

See more on courier van insurance

Pickup insurance

Whether you’re using your pickup van for business or to carry hobby equipment like fishing gear, we can help you find the right insurance. 

See more on pickup insurance

Temporary van insurance

If you’re borrowing a van, test-driving a van, need cover for a temporary worker or are sharing the driving on a trip, short-term van insurance is a way of only paying for the cover you need. Offers cover for just an hour, up to 28 days.

See more on temporary van insurance

Black box (telematics) van insurance

A ‘black box’ fitted in your van monitors how you drive. A good option for young van drivers, the safer you drive, the lower your van insurance premium could be.

See more on black box insurance for vans

Electric van insurance

The number of battery electric and plug-in hybrid vans on the road is growing year on year. Compare electric van insurance to find the right cover for you.

See more on electric van insurance

Specialist van insurance

If you’re a van driver with convictions or you have a modified van, you might need specialist insurance.

See more on specialist van insurance

Fleet van insurance

Fleet insurance lets you insure several vehicles under one policy with a single renewal date, cutting out the need for individual policies for each van.

You can’t currently compare multi-van policies with Compare the Market.

See more on fleet van insurance

What level of van insurance do I need?

If you’re looking for the best van insurance for you, there are three main types of policy: third-party insurance, third-party, fire and theft insurance, and comprehensive insurance.


This is the minimum level of cover you’ll need to legally drive on UK roads. It can cover injury or damage you cause to other people and their vehicles. But it won’t cover repairs to your own van, theft or personal medical expenses following an accident.

Third-party, fire and theft

Offers the same protection as third-party but could also pay out if your van is stolen or damaged by fire.

Comprehensive van insurance

In terms of protection, comprehensive offers the highest level of van insurance cover. This includes all the cover of a third party, fire and theft policy, along with cover for the repair of your own van if it’s in an accident or vandalised.

It’s a common misconception that comprehensive insurance is always the most expensive because it offers the most protection. Comprehensive cover can be cheaper than third-party, so it’s worth getting a quote for all levels of cover to compare your options.

Upgrades and additional cover

You might want to increase your cover by adding on optional extras. You’ll have to pay to add them to your policy, so think carefully about what you really need.

Motor legal cover 

If you’re involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault, legal cover could take care of the legal costs for you and your passengers.

Courtesy van

Gives you a van to use if yours is being repaired following an accident.

Breakdown cover 

Breakdown cover can help you to get back on the road or get you towed to a garage if your van breaks down.

Public liability insurance

If you’re self-employed, public liability insurance could cover claims made by members of the public who’ve been injured due to your actions at work.

Employers’ liability insurance 

A legal requirement if you employ any staff, employers’ liability insurance could cover claims of negligence made against you by your employees.

Tool insurance

Tool insurance could cover the cost of replacing your equipment if it’s damaged, lost or stolen. You can’t currently compare tool insurance with Compare the Market.

Misfuelling cover

Misfuelling insurance could cover the cost of draining and cleaning your tank if you put in the wrong type of fuel.

Author image Julie Daniels

What our expert says...

"It makes sense to not auto-renew your van policy. Shop around and see if you can find a cheaper deal and compare quotes with what your current provider has offered, otherwise you may lose out and pay more than you need to."

- Julie Daniels, Insurance expert

How to get a cheap van insurance quote

If you’re looking for cheaper van insurance, the following could help:

Build a no-claims discount

Providers offer a no-claims discount based on the number of years you’ve been driving without making a claim. The more claim-free years you have, the higher your discount could be.

Increase your voluntary excess

Voluntary excess is how much you choose to pay upfront if you make a claim. If you choose a higher voluntary excess, you’ll usually pay a lower premium. But make sure you can afford both the voluntary and compulsory excess if you have to claim.

Improve your van’s security

Vans with extra security features, like an approved alarm, immobiliser and/or tracker, could be cheaper to insure. But before spending money on improving your van's security, check with your provider to make sure it’s worthwhile.

Don’t over-insure

If you over-estimate the value of your van, or include unnecessary add-ons, you’ll likely pay more. Always consider optional extras carefully to avoid over-paying, while ensuring you have the right level of cover you need. 

Drive fewer miles

Spending less time on the road means you’re a lower risk for providers, who may offer cheaper cover.  

Pay upfront

Paying for your van insurance annually typically costs less than paying monthly as you’re usually charged interest on your monthly instalments.

Compare van insurance quotes 

Look for cheap van insurance by comparing quotes with Compare the Market. Don’t just automatically renew your policy with your existing provider. We compare a wide range of insurance providers, allowing you to search for the right level of cover at a price you can afford.

Frequently asked questions

Do I need van insurance?

By law, you must have at least third-party insurance for any vehicle you drive, unless you declare it off road with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

Even if you only use your van occasionally, or it’s left in a yard most of the time, it will still need to be insured. Cover must be in place all year round under the continuous insurance enforcement regulations.

Most vans won’t be covered by standard car insurance, so you’ll more than likely need to take out van insurance to get the cover you need.

Can I add additional drivers to my van insurance policy?

Yes, you can add additional drivers to your van insurance.

Adding a more experienced driver to your policy could result in cheaper van insurance, but adding a less experienced driver might see your premiums go up.

If you only need to add another driver for a short period, you may find it’s cheaper to get temporary van insurance.

Can my company van be insured under the company name?

If your business van is registered to or owned by your company, it can be insured under your business name.

Can I get a courtesy van or car?

Depending on your level of cover, you may be able to get a courtesy car or van while your van is being repaired.

Check your policy details though, as the courtesy car or van could be significantly different in type and size to the van you own.

Some policies include this cover as standard. Otherwise, you can pay to add it as an optional extra.

What types of vans can I get a quote for?

As well as panel vans, we also offer insurance for pickup vans and tippers. You can also compare insurance for crew cabs, transit vans, livestock vans, curtainside or dropside vans.

If you’ve modified your van, we can help you compare quotes for that too.

Am I insured to drive my van abroad?

UK van insurance gives you third-party cover to drive in EU countries, as a minimum.

To be fully covered, you may need to extend your policy to include foreign use cover (for an extra charge), if it’s not included as standard in your policy.

Many commercial van insurance policies also include cover for business travel abroad, or you can add it for an extra cost.

Can I get black box insurance for my van?

Yes, a black box policy (also known as telematics) is available from some van insurance providers.

A black box policy involves installing a device in your van or an app on your phone, which monitors your driving behaviour. If you drive safely, you may be rewarded with a cheaper renewal premium.

Why should I get legal cover?

Legal protection insurance could help cover the costs of pursuing or defending a van insurance claim that isn’t covered by your regular van insurance.

It could also cover disputes when buying or selling a vehicle or defending yourself if you’re accused of a motoring offence.

Page last reviewed on 18 APRIL 2024
by Julie Daniels