Motorhome insurance

  • Compare and find a great deal on Motorhome and campervan insurance
  • Enjoy a whole year of Meerkat Meals & Meerkat Movies*
Start a quote

What is motorhome insurance?  

Motorhome insurance is a type of motor cover that’s specific to motorhomes and campervans. This type of insurance can cover your vehicle, you and your passengers for damage, accidents and theft. Just like car insurance, motorhome insurance is a legal requirement.

What is a motorhome?

A motorhome or campervan is a type of vehicle that provides transport and living accommodation. They range from larger (and sometimes luxury) vehicles, like A-class models, American recreation vehicles (RVs), coach-built motorhomes and panel van conversions, to smaller models including self-built campervans and micro motorhomes. 

What are the main types of motorhome cover?

The right motorhome insurance will depend on your needs. The three main types of insurance for motorhomes are:

  1. Third party – the minimum level of cover you’ll need to drive on UK roads. This will only cover the cost of compensating other people for injury or damage you cause to them or their vehicle.
  2. Third party, fire and theft – this offers the same level of cover as third party, but could also cover you if your motorhome is stolen, damaged or destroyed by fire.
  3. Fully comprehensive – this includes all of the cover offered by a third party fire and theft policy, and could also cover your motorhome if it’s damaged or destroyed by an event that’s your fault.

There are specialist motorhome policies that could offer you extended cover – for European road trips, for example. Some providers may also offer this as an optional add-on to a policy for an extra cost.

What else can motorhome insurance include?

These come as standard with some policies:

  • Personal belongings cover – to protect any belongings you keep in your motorhome or camper.
  • Awning cover – to cover you for damage to the awning in storms.
  • Windscreen cover – to cover the cost of chips or cracks to your windscreen.

How much does motorhome insurance cost? 

The cost of insurance for a motorhome varies. It depends on a number of things, including:

  • Your age 
  • Your address 
  • Where you keep your motorhome when it’s not in use. If it’s parked on the street rather than off the road or behind a barrier, this could push up your premiums or, in some locations, make it difficult to insure at all.
  • Driving history, including any insurance claims you might have made – a longer no-claims bonus typically rewards you with cheaper insurance.
  • How long you’ve driven a motorhome for – with more experience driving this type of vehicle, you may get a cheaper deal.
  • The make and model of the motorhome – higher-value vehicles tend to be more expensive to insure. Classic motorhomes or campers, like the retro VW campervan, may also come with higher premiums.
  • Your existing and expected annual mileage – the higher the mileage, the more you can expect to pay. However, if you only use the motorhome for short periods during the year, this can bring your costs down.
  • Your access to other vehicles – having access to other vehicles is likely to reduce your premium. If you use your motorhome or campervan for commuting or business purposes then you’re likely to pay more.
  • Whether you want to add other named drivers to your policy.

How can I save on my motorhome insurance?

There are several ways you might be able to save on your motorhome policy, including choosing to pay for your cover annually rather than in monthly instalments. If you can afford it, paying yearly could help to save you money, as insurance providers typically charge interest on monthly payments.

Ways to help cut the cost of your motorhome insurance include:

  • Adding extra security to your vehicle, such as a better alarm system, tracking device or ID kit
  • Storing the vehicle off the road, using a barrier or a Caravan Storage Site Owners’ Association (CASSOA) registered site
  • Limiting your mileage (if possible)
  • Building up your no-claims discount by driving carefully
  • Advanced driving qualifications to prove you’re a safer, more experienced driver
  • Joining a motorhome owners club – some providers offer discounts for members

One of the best ways to find the right deal for you is to shop around. Compare with us and we can save you the legwork by giving you a range of insurance quotes for your campervan or motorhome.

What’s the difference between a motorhome and a campervan?

There are some typical differences between a motorhome and a campervan. Motorhomes are usually:

  • Larger, with extra space for storage
  • Have more clearly defined areas for driving and living
  • Often come with additional features, like an over-cab area with space for a double bed.  

Campervans tend to be smaller inside with more basic facilities for cooking, washing and sleeping. You can compare insurance for campervans through, provided your campervan:

  • has fixed facilities for cooking, washing and sleeping
  • or is classified as a motor caravan on your V5C log book.

A van with a bed in the back doesn’t qualify as a campervan.

Compare motorhome insurance quotes 

We make finding a great deal on your motorhome insurance simple. Whichever make or model you own, or are looking to buy, we’ll compare some of the market’s leading providers to find motorhome insurance that suits your needs.  

Frequently asked questions

Do I need motorhome insurance?

Yes, it’s a legal requirement to have insurance for your motorhome. You can only avoid insuring your motorhome by officially declaring it off the road. You can do this by contacting the DVLA and applying for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

Can I drive a motorhome on my car insurance?

To drive a motorhome or campervan, you’ll usually need a specialist motorhome insurance policy. That’s because we use motorhomes in a different way to our cars. We don’t just drive our motorhomes – we sleep, cook and socialise in them too – so there are more things to consider in terms of cover.

Do I need a special licence to drive a motorhome?

If you have a full UK driving licence, you can drive a motorhome weighing up to 3.5 tonnes. You can also drive a motorhome up to 7.5 tonnes provided you passed your test before 1 January 1997, which means you’ll be able to drive most motorhomes. If you passed your test after that, you’ll need to take an additional test to drive a motorhome over 7.5 tonnes.

How much cover do I need?

If you drive a motorhome or campervan, you’re legally required to have the minimum insurance in place – third party only. Although this is the lowest level of cover, don’t assume it’s the cheapest. It’s worth shopping around.

Comprehensive insurance offers the fullest protection and often includes cover for the contents of your motorhome. So, if your camper is filled with gadgets and expensive camping gear, then comprehensive might be the better option.

What won’t motorhome insurance cover?

Exclusions vary according to the policy and provider you choose, but generally motorhome insurance won’t cover:

  • Your motorhome if you live in it full time
  • Wear and tear
  • Infestations of rats, mice or other vermin
  • Using your motorhome for business
  • Theft if you’ve left your motorhome unlocked or a window open

Does my home contents insurance cover items in my motorhome?

Typically, home contents insurance only covers your possessions when they’re inside your home, but check your policy to make sure. If you add cover for personal possessions outside the home it can cover some items that you take out and about, like laptops, jewellery and cameras.

It’s very unlikely that your home contents insurance will cover you for any general household items that you have in your motorhome or camper, like bedding and a television. If you’re not sure exactly what your contents insurance covers, check the policy or talk to your home insurance provider.

How do I estimate mileage?

The cost of your insurance can vary depending on the annual mileage you cover in your motorhome. So, if you only use your motorhome for occasional holidays in the UK, your mileage could be relatively low, and this could save you money on your premium. Some insurance policies will offer savings if you stick to a pre-agreed mileage limit – because if you drive less, there’s less risk of you having an accident.

If you drive your motorhome regularly you can estimate your annual mileage by multiplying the miles you drive in a typical week by 52. If you want to use your motorhome more for occasional long trips, then it’s a little trickier. Google Maps can be a good resource in this case, allowing you to plot a trip with multiple destinations and find the approximate mileage.

Can you get any added extras with motorhome insurance?

Depending on what you need, there are plenty of useful extras you can add to your motorhome insurance policy to make it work for you:

  • Breakdown cover – with roadside assistance to get you to a garage quickly if you break down.
  • Legal expenses – to cover you in case you have a legal dispute relating to an accident, and help you recoup any losses.
  • No claims discount protection – if you claim on your insurance, it won’t affect your no claims discount, although your premium might go up.
  • European cover – to insure you for driving your motorhome in Europe.

To keep the cost of cover as low as possible, think about how you use your motorhome and avoid paying for any additional cover you won’t need, or that might already be covered by a different policy.

Why compare motorhome insurance with

Compare motorhome insurance with us and we make it easy to compare quotes from a range of providers.

By comparing policies based around price, monthly or annual payment terms, policy cover levels and add-ons we can help you to find the right deal at a great price.

How much does motorhome insurance cost?

£211 Per year for motorhome insurance**

£169 per year for touring caravan insurance***

£159 per year for static caravan insurance****

**51% of people could achieve a quote of £210.38 per year for their motorhome insurance, based on Compare the Market in February, 2022.

***51% of people could achieve a quote of £168.26 per year for their touring caravan insurance, based on Compare the Market data in February, 2022.

****51% of people could achieve a quote of £158.30 per year for their static caravan insurance, based on data in February, 2022. 

Start a quote

What do I need to get a quote?

To start comparing motor home insurance quotes we’ll need a few details including:

  • a few personal details about you, like your age and where you live
  • the type of driving licence you hold and how long you’ve had it
  • how you use your vehicle and your experience level driving a motorhome
  • your claims history
  • if you have any other vehicles, and if you’d like to add any named drivers to your policy
  • details about your motorhome, including the make, model, when you bought it, what fuel it uses and the current value
  • details of any modifications
  • details about the security of the motorhome and where it’s stored
  • details of how you will use the motorhome and your estimated annual mileage
Start a quote

Why use Compare the Market?

Motorhome insurance from £211 per year**

92.0% of users would recommend to friends or family^

**51% of people could achieve a quote of £210.38 per year for their motorhome insurance, based on Compare the Market data in February, 2022. 

^For the period 1st June to 31st August 2021, 8944 people responded to the recommend question. 8,226 responded with a score of 6 or above, therefore 92.0% are likely to recommend.

Start a quote

Motorhome insurance providers

We compare prices for 15 motorhome insurance products from leading providers (correct as of December, 2021).

Author image Dan Hutson

What our expert says...

"With a motorhome, you can have all the freedom of travel and still enjoy the comforts of home. Whether it’s a lifestyle choice or a once-in-a-lifetime trip you’re planning, make sure you have the right insurance in place to cover you, your motorhome and everything you take along for the ride."

- Dan Hutson, Motor insurance expert