Looking for Meerkat Meals or Meerkat Movies?
If you buy motorhome insurance through our site, you won’t qualify for either of these rewards. However, compare prices now and find the right cover for you.
What is a motorhome?
A motorhome is a type of vehicle that provides transport and living accommodation. Motorhomes range from larger (and sometimes luxury) vehicles, such as A-class models, to smaller models including self-built motorhomes.
How much is motorhome insurance?
The cost of insurance for a motorhome varies, depending on factors that include:
- Your age
- Your address
- Driving history, including any insurance claims you might have made
- How long you’ve driven a motorhome for
- Whether you want to add other named drivers to your policy.
Compare motorhome insurance quotes
We make finding a great deal on your motorhome insurance simple. Whichever make or model you own, or are looking to buy, we’ll compare some of the market’s leading providers to find motorhome insurance that suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions
What’s the difference between a motorhome and a campervan?
There are some typical differences between a motorhome and a campervan. Motorhomes are purpose-built and are usually:
- Larger, with extra space for storage
- Have more clearly defined areas for driving and living
- Often come with additional features, such as over-cab space that can contain a double bed.
Campervans tend to be smaller vehicles with more basic facilities for cooking, washing and sleeping. If you’re looking for insurance for a campervan, there are a few specialist providers who might be able to offer you cover through Compare the Market.
Do I need motorhome insurance?
Yes, it’s a legal requirement to have insurance for your motorhome. You can only avoid insuring your motorhome by officially declaring it off the road. You can only do this by contacting the DVLA and applying for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).
What are the main types of motorhome cover?
The right motor home insurance will depend on your needs. The three main types of insurance for motorhomes are:
- Third party – the minimum level of cover you’ll need to drive on UK roads. This will only cover the cost of compensating other people for injury or damage you cause to them or their vehicle
- Third party, fire and theft – this offers the same level of cover as third party, but could also cover you if your motorhome is stolen or damaged or it’s destroyed by fire
- Fully comprehensive – this includes all of the cover offered by a third party fire and theft policy, and also offers cover for your motorhome if it’s accidentally damaged or destroyed by an event that’s your fault.
There are specialist motorhome policies that could offer you extended cover, such as for trips within the EU or to other countries. Some providers may also offer this as an optional add-on to a policy.
Does my home contents insurance cover items in my motorhome?
Your main home contents insurance could cover some of the items in your motorhome; it depends on the level of cover you have. You might find that your policy covers camping equipment and other items you usually carry with you if you’ve specified them on your policy, or you’ve taken out personal possessions cover.
It’s very unlikely that your home contents insurance will cover you for any general household items that you have in your motorhome, such as bedding and a television. If you’re unsure exactly what your contents insurance covers, check the policy wording or speak to your home insurance provider.
How can I save on my motorhome insurance?
There are several ways you might be able to save on your motorhome policy, including choosing to pay for your cover annually or in monthly instalments. If you can afford it, paying yearly could help to save you money, as insurance providers typically charge interest on monthly instalments.
Ways to help cut the cost of your motorhome insurance include:
- Limiting your mileage (if possible)
- Building up your no-claims discount by driving carefully
- Adding extra security to your vehicle, such as a better alarm system.
Why compare motorhome insurance with Compare the Market?
Compare motorhome insurance with us and we make it easy to compare quotes from a range of providers.
By comparing policies based around price, monthly or annual payment terms, policy cover levels and add-ons we can help you to find the right deal at a great price.