If you’re one of the 5.2 million people in the UK who own a second home, it’s a good idea to understand the types of risks you might like to insure against.
- If your holiday home is mortgaged, you’ll probably need to have buildings insurance to keep your mortgage company happy. But even if you own it yourself, you might want this type of cover in case of fire or other accidents. Make sure the value of the policy is enough to cover the rebuilding of your home. We can help you work out rebuild costs accurately when you start comparing.
- If you leave furniture, utensils, TVs or prints on the wall, you should probably have contents insurance too. Think about how much it would cost to replace all the items in each room, including carpets, curtains and kitchen items. We've got a useful calculator to help you work this out accurately.
- Your holiday home may be at risk from storm damage to the roof, break-ins and burglaries, or accidental damage. Standard policies will usually cover you against theft or break-ins, but you might have to add accidental damage cover as an optional extra.
- Because holiday homes are generally empty more often than normal homes, they could be more likely to be broken into. Consider installing a burglar alarm or other security precautions that may help with getting insurance.
- Second home insurance could include public liability insurance. This might offer cover for instances such as a guest tripping over a rug and holding you liable for their injuries.
Add other extras, as you would with a normal house insurance quote. You might choose home emergency cover, which gives you a number to call if you urgently need a plumber or other expert. You could also add legal assistance – this protects you against the costs of being sued or having to make a claim against someone else under a range of circumstances.
We make it easy to compare home insurance with options on buildings and contents, or everything together in one package. 92.1%* of customers found our prices competitive or very competitive, and 90.2%** found the experience easy or very easy.
*For the period 14th September to 30th November 2018, 3,183 people responded to the question “How competitive or uncompetitive did you find the prices provided by CtM?” 2,931 responded with ‘competitive’ or ‘very competitive’ (92.1%)
**For the period 14th September to 30th November 2018, 3,183 people responded to the question “How easy or difficult did you find it to complete a quote using CtM?” 2,872 responded with ‘easy’ or ‘very easy’ (90.2%)