Correct as of December 2023.
What you need to know about over 25s car insurance
While younger drivers often end up paying more for their car insurance, drivers over 25 could pay less. This is because older drivers are seen as less of a risk when it comes to accidents, and the statistics tend to back that up.
How much does car insurance cost for 25-year-olds?
It’s hard to say, because the cost of car insurance depends on so many factors, not just your age.
Car insurance is usually most expensive for younger drivers aged 17-24. However, when you reach 25, you may have a bit more experience behind the wheel. So, you can reasonably start to expect your premiums to get cheaper.
Of course, factors like the car you drive, your mileage, driving history and even where you live can all affect the overall cost of your car insurance.
 51% of young drivers between 17-24 years old could achieve a quote of up to £2040.44 for their car insurance based on Compare the Market data in December 2023.
 51% of our customers were quoted less than £949.59 for their comprehensive car insurance in December 2023.
What our expert says...
“The cost of car insurance is based on a lot more than just age. If you think you’re paying more than you should be, this could be due to the specific type of car you drive or a higher-than-average mileage. It might pay to shop around for a better deal.”
- Alex Hasty, Motor insurance expert
What about car insurance for new drivers over 25?
You probably won’t pay as much for your insurance as a new driver under 25. But, if you’ve only just passed your driving test, you should expect to pay more for your car insurance than someone the same age who’s been driving for a few years.
Are there other ways to reduce car insurance for over 25s?
Aside from turning another year older, there are other ways to find cheap car insurance for over 25s.
- The type of car you drive has an impact on your car insurance quotes. High-spec models with many modifications tend to be more expensive to insure.
- Black box or telematics insurance can often be appropriate for very young drivers. But it could help to reduce premiums for over 25s, too.
- Taking out a higher voluntary excess is likely to reduce your premiums. Just keep in mind that you’d need to pay this increased amount in the future, if you needed to make a claim.
Read more of our top tips for getting cheaper car insurance.
What do our customers say about our Car insurance comparison service?
Based on 93,683 reviews, customers who bought Car insurance rated our comparison service 4.6 out of 5.
Easy to use and compareHarjinder • 07/12/2023
Easy to use and the best priceMrs B • 07/12/2023
Engine search user friendly, quick answerMr Vedrenne • 28/11/2023
Easy and quickKalahari • 07/12/2023
What type of car insurance is best for over 25s?
You’ll have access to the same types of car insurance policies as everyone else:
- Third-party – the minimum legal requirement, which covers you for damages to other people, their vehicles or property.
- Third-party, fire and theft – includes all of the above, but also covers your car against fire damage and theft.
- Comprehensive – covers you, damage to your car, as well as all of the above.
Comprehensive cover offers the highest level of protection and, believe it or not, could actually be the cheapest option, so it’s well worth comparing.
What do I need to get a quote?
You’ll need to give us some information about you and your car, including:
- The make and model, as well as your registration number
- What you use your car for and your average yearly mileage
- Information about your NCD (no-claims discount)
- Details of any previous claims or accidents in the past (even if they weren’t your fault).
- Details of any additional drivers you’d like added to your policy.
How do I find cheap car insurance for new drivers over 25?
Shopping around is a good way to get a quote for over 25 car insurance that’s right for you. Compare with us today and see if you could save.
Frequently asked questions
Why is over 25 car insurance often cheaper?
Drivers over the age of 25 are usually considered less of a risk than younger motorists when it comes to accidents on the road. That’s why their car insurance quotes could be cheaper. The statistics are quite clear that risk does decrease with age and experience.
There’s also more chance you’ll have built up a few years of no claims, which can help to reduce the overall cost of your car insurance.
Does car insurance go down at 25?
Car insurance typically goes down gradually from the age of 21-24, and again at around the age of 25.
However, age is just one factor that car insurance providers consider when giving you a quote. Other factors include the type of vehicle you drive, your average mileage, whether you have any penalty points, and if you have any named drivers on your policy.
Is car insurance cheaper for drivers over 25 with low mileage?
Being an older driver over the age of 25, coupled with having low annual mileage can be an advantage for car insurance.
That’s why it could pay to keep your mileage down. For example, you could take turns to car share with a friend or colleague so each of you reduces your overall mileage.
Should I add a more experienced driver to my policy?
It could be a good way of getting cheaper car insurance for new drivers over 25. An older, experienced driver may lower the risk of your car being involved in an accident.
Just make sure that whoever uses the car the most is named as the main driver. Otherwise, you’ll be guilty of fronting, which is illegal.