Schengen travel insurance

If you’re planning a trip to any of the 26 countries in the Schengen area and you aren’t a UK citizen, you’ll probably need a Schengen visa. You’ll also need travel insurance.

If you’re planning a trip to any of the 26 countries in the Schengen area and you aren’t a UK citizen, you’ll probably need a Schengen visa. You’ll also need travel insurance.

Josh Daniels
From the Travel team
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Posted 23 DECEMBER 2O2O


Non-essential travel is not currently permitted within the UK before 12 April 2021 at the earliest (check individual regions before travel as they may be different) and international travel is not currently permitted before 17 May 2021 at the earliest (dates subject to further confirmation from the government).

You’re still able to purchase annual multi-trip policies, however, if you choose to travel against The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advice and current restrictions, you won’t be covered for your trip, including for essential travel.

Find out more here

Customers with more serious pre-existing medical conditions

Our panel includes insurance providers who quote cover for all medical conditions declared on our website, with no exclusions.

The Money and Pensions Service (MaPs) has launched a directory of insurance providers on its Money Advice Service website that may be able to provide quotes over the phone, if you have more serious medical conditions. Find more information at the Money Advice Service or by calling the British Insurance Brokers’ Association on 0370 950 1790.

What is Schengen travel insurance?

The Schengen Area is a group of countries where EU citizens and others can travel without border checks. Schengen travel insurance gives non-EU citizens travel and medical cover for all 26 Schengen countries.

Here’s a full list of Schengen countries:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

The UK isn’t part of the Schengen agreement. Neither are Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania.

When do I need Schengen travel insurance to travel in Europe?

If you’re not an EU national, then in many cases you’ll need a valid visa and travel insurance to travel in Europe. The European Commission website has a full list of who needs a Schengen visa.

Comprehensive travel insurance is essential for anyone applying for a Schengen visa, according to EU law. Citizens of some non-EU countries don’t need a Schengen visa, but they might need a visa for the countries they want to visit.

At the moment, UK citizens can travel to all countries in the Schengen area without a visa. However, this may change when the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December 2020.

But although travel insurance isn’t a legal requirement for UK citizens travelling to the Schengen area, it may make sense to have it. It can help to ensure you’re fully covered for medical emergencies, as well as covering your belongings and any disruption to your holiday. Read more about travel insurance for Europe.

How do I apply for a Schengen travel visa?

You’ll need:

  • A completed visa application
  • A valid passport
  • Two identical passport photographs
  • Details of your travel itinerary
  • Travel insurance covering up to €30,000 of medical costs

Some countries may have different requirements for Schengen visas, so it’s always worth double checking with the embassy of the country or countries you’re planning to visit before setting of.

What does Schengen travel insurance usually cover?

Schengen travel insurance should give you basic cover for all 26 Schengen countries, including:

  • Medical cover – to qualify for a Schengen visa, travellers must be covered for medical costs up to €30,000
  • Lost, stolen or damaged luggage and passports – covering you for any damage to your personal belongings or travel documents
  • Cancellations and delays – so if your holiday is cancelled, delayed or shortened, you can claim for some expenses
  • Repatriation – can cover the costs of getting you home if there are problems with your airline, or you need special travel arrangements due to a medical emergency

What won’t be included in my travel insurance policy?

A standard insurance policy will cover you for many types of claims, but there might be some exceptions. Here are few things that may not be included in your cover:

  • Pre-existing medical conditions If you don’t tell your insurance provider about a pre-existing condition like asthma or diabetes, you’re unlikely to be able to make a claim relating it while you’re away.
  • Injuries or accidents from high-risk activities If you’re planning on booking adventure activities, like water sports, mountain biking or skiing. while you’re away, you may want to think about getting adventure travel insurance. It’s always better to play it safe.

How much does Schengen travel insurance cost?

The cost of travel insurance to the Schengen area depends on a number of things, including your age, where you’re going, how long you’re staying and how much cover you want.

Ready to kickstart your European adventure? Start comparing travel insurance with Compare the Market and get a quote in minutes.

Looking for a quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Compare travel insurance Get a quote