What is young driver insurance?
Young driver insurance is car insurance for drivers aged 17-24. It’s not a specialist policy or separate product, but young drivers are viewed as a higher risk by insurance providers. Unfortunately, this is why car insurance for young drivers is usually more expensive. However, there are things you can do to get cheaper insurance.
Why is young driver insurance so expensive?
The average young driver insurance premium is £1,672. Unfortunately, the cost of car insurance for young drivers is generally higher because they’re statistically among the most likely to be involved in an accident and need to make a claim.
 51% of young drivers between 17-24 years old could achieve a quote of up to £1,671.33 for their car insurance based on Compare the Market data in June 2023.
How can I get cheaper car insurance as a young driver?
The information in this video is available as a text transcript.
If you’re looking for cheap car insurance for new drivers under 25, think about:
- The type of car you own and its value: The value of your car, and even the model, can affect your insurance. If your first car is a new, high-powered or luxury vehicle, your premium will most likely be higher.
- Adding an experienced named driver to your policy: As long as they have no previous claims or convictions, it could reduce the cost of your own car premium, especially for a young or first-time driver. But you have to make sure you don’t give false information about who the main driver is. This is known as ‘fronting’ – a type of fraud that may invalidate your policy.
- Driving well: Penalty points and speeding fines could result in a higher premium, so drive carefully.
- You could consider a Pass Plus driving qualification, which may help lower your premium by showing you’re a safer driver.
- Limiting your mileage: Limiting the amount of time you’re on the road will reduce your risk of having an accident and could help lower your premium. Your insurance provider will want to know your annual mileage, so try to keep it as low as possible. Make sure it’s accurate though. A false mileage count could invalidate your policy.
- Paying upfront: If you can afford to, it’s a good idea to pay your yearly insurance in one go. Monthly instalments often end up costing more because you’re likely to be charged interest.
- Opting to pay a: The excess is the amount you have to pay towards a claim. Opting to pay more can bring down your premium, but you need to be sure you can afford the excess if you have to claim on your insurance.
- Shop around: Young drivers who shop around can make savings on their annual premium. If your car insurance is up for renewal, start looking to switch to another provider three weeks before your policy end date.
There’s no need to do all the legwork yourself. Set up automated quotes with us and we’ll let you know if you can get a cheaper car insurance quote ahead of your renewal.
What type of insurance do young drivers need?
There are three types of cover to consider:
- Third party insurance – the most basic level of cover you need to drive legally. It can cover you for any damage to another person’s vehicle or any injury you cause to someone else as the result of an accident.
- Third party fire and theft insurance – in addition to the above, your vehicle could be covered if it’s stolen or damaged by fire.
- Fully comprehensive insurance – includes all of the above, but could also protect you as a driver, and will pay out for damage to your car.
While it might not seem logical, fully comprehensive insurance can be the cheapest type of car insurance for some drivers. So, if you’re looking for cheap car insurance for young drivers, it’s worth comparing the different types of policy.
What our expert says...
“Car insurance for young drivers is rarely cheap, but scrimping on cover isn’t always the best the way to save. You could go for the minimal cover offered - third party insurance - to comply with the law. But it's definitely worth investigating other options such as telematics, going for a less powerful motor or simply resisting the temptation to pimp your ride, while sticking with comprehensive cover to keep costs down."
- Kate Hughes, Insurance expert
Is young driver insurance cheaper with a black box?
Yes, black box insurance, aka telematics insurance, could help you save money on your young driver insurance. With a black box car insurance policy, a little box is fitted to your car which lets your insurance provider monitor your driving. It tracks the way you corner, your speed and braking. If the data shows you’re a safe driver, your insurance provider could offer you a lower premium.
Can you get temporary car insurance for young drivers?
Yes, and arranging cover can be quick and easy. Temporary car insurance for young drivers is useful for a few reasons. You might want a temporary car insurance policy to cover you while learning to drive in someone else’s car.
If you have a learner driver insurance policy and pass your driving test, you won’t be covered to drive your car as a qualified driver. Instead, you’ll need to take out another policy as a new driver. A temporary car insurance policy could be a short-term option, while you find the right car insurance for you.
How to get car insurance for young drivers
If you’re looking for cheap car insurance for young drivers, comparing quotes through Compare the Market is a great way to cut the cost of your premium. You could save up to £457 by choosing a better deal.
What do I need to get a young driver car insurance quote?
Just tell us a bit about yourself and your car, including:
- some personal details – your age, address and job
- your car registration number
- how you use your car – for work, leisure or commuting – and how many miles you drive in a year
- your driving history – any convictions, accidents and insurance claims in the last five years
- details of any additional drivers you want on your policy.
 Based on Online independent research by Consumer Intelligence during May 2023 51% of customers could achieve this saving on their car insurance through Compare the Market.
Frequently asked questions
What is the cheapest insurance group for young drivers?
Can I get added upgrades or additional cover as a young driver?
Even as a young driver, you can add plenty of optional extras to your policy:
- Breakdown cover – to get you back on the road as soon as possible.
- Personal accident cover - if you or a passenger are killed or seriously injured in a car accident, personal accident cover can pay out compensation.
- Motor legal protection – could cover expenses if legal action is taken after an accident.
- Lost keys cover – can pay towards the costs of replacing and reprogramming them.
- No claims discount protection – if you’ve done an amazing job of building up a long no claims discount, it's worth protecting, so you don’t lose it if you end up making a claim.
- Windscreen cover – even small chips and cracks can lead to more serious and expensive problems.
When does car insurance get cheaper for younger drivers?
Typically, car insurance gets cheaper when a driver turns 21.
Even at 21, you’ll probably find your premium is considerably more than an older, more experienced driver’s. That’s because they’ve had years of driving to build up a no-claims bonus.
This means it’s still worth shopping around to see if you can find cheap car insurance for 21-year-olds.
What do our customers say?
Based on 93,683 reviews, our customers rated us 4.6 out of 5.
Saved £160 and stayed with same ProviderBritpart • 09/09/2021
I got a great price for my car insurance, I would definitely recommend to friendJTHOM • 09/09/2021
So easy and fast. Got a great deal half of what my current insurers quoted.Jak60 • 09/09/2021
Love the way your details are kept which make it easy to review and choose each.Carol G • 02/11/2021
Why compare car insurance with Compare the Market?
We know comparing insurance and utilities isn’t much fun. So at Compare the Market it’s all about keeping it simple. We do all the legwork to help you find the right product for you at the right price. And you can trust us to be impartial – we make money when you switch or take out a new product, so it’s in our interests to help you make the right choice.
Comparing with us is about the enjoyable stuff too – we love to reward you with Meerkat Meals and Meerkat Movies when you take out selected products with us*
Don’t just take our word for it, join thousands of other happy savers who Compare the Market
As of July 2023, Compare the Market had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 31,285 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’. Find out more