[]   Your account

Domestic cleaning insurance

Domestic cleaning insurance

You may be working in other people’s homes and with their possessions, but you still need to have cleaning insurance in place to protect yourself and your cleaning kit in case accidents happen.

From public liability insurance to contents insurance, we clean things up…

David Edbrooke
Sub editor
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Posted 2 DECEMBER 2019

Do I need cleaning insurance?

If you’re an independent cleaner or run your own company, you’ll need cleaning insurance in place to protect yourself, your customers, employees (if you have any) and the tools of your trade.

The nature of the job means you’ll be in and out of people’s homes, handling their (potentially pricey) possessions daily. And however careful you are, accidents do happen.

What type of cleaning insurance do I need?

There are several types of cleaning insurance cover worth considering, including public liability insurance, employer’s liability insurance, and buildings and contents insurance. If you’re employed by a cleaning company, you’ll probably be covered by their insurance. But it’s worth checking so you know whether you need extra protection in place, for example, if you use your own cleaning equipment.

Public liability insurance for cleaners

Public liability insurance offers protection against claims made as a result of property damage or injuries sustained by members of the public, that occur as a result of your work.

It can give you peace of mind that if a customer’s property is accidentally damaged while you’re going about your business, you’d be covered. (Be aware – items you were working on at the time of an accident are usually excluded).

It also offers reassurance that, in the event of an accident related to your work – say someone slips on a wet floor you’ve just cleaned or trips over your vacuum power cable – you’d be covered for any legal fees or compensation costs.

If you’re trusted with clients’ house keys, it’s worth looking for a policy extension which offers protection if you fail to lock up properly when you leave, or you can check to see if the policy offers it as standard.

You can compare and take out a public liability insurance policy no matter what size your business.

It’s a not a legal obligation, but some clients may want to know you have it before they offer you work.

Employers’ liability insurance for cleaners

If you run a business and employ other people – even if it’s only one person, or on a temporary basis – you’ll legally need Employers’ liability insurance, and a displayed certificate to prove it. Failure to do so can result in a fine of up to £2,500 for each day uninsured.

Employers’ liability insurance is designed to protect you against claims made by people while they are in your employment, for example if they become ill or injured as a result of working for you.

Business premises and contents insurance for cleaners

You may be doing the bulk of your work out and about, but you’ll have a business base, where you keep all your equipment and it needs the correct protection in place.

Professional cleaning equipment like carpet and steam cleaners can be expensive, so you’ll want insurance to cover it in case of accidental damage or theft. Also, you’ll need to ensure it’s protected while being transported from job to job.

If you store all your equipment at your own home, make sure your insurance provider is aware, as you may need extra cover beyond your usual home contents insurance.

Get the right domestic cleaning insurance

Like any insurance policy, exactly what cleaning insurance you need will depend on a number of specific factors like your claims history, the size of your business and the exact nature of your work.

Get a domestic cleaning insurance quote now and see if you could start saving.

Looking for a quote?

Get a business insurance quote in seconds and you could start saving

Get a quote
Get a business insurance quote and you could start saving now Compare business insurance

comparethemarket.com uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.