Public Liability Insurance
Public liability insurance isn’t a legal obligation, but it can be important. It provides compensation for damage or injury caused to your clients or general public and result from your work, for example when you’re cleaning someone’s home.
You might think accidents only happen if somebody is careless and that if you are diligent and conscientious, accidents won’t happen to you. Sadly though, life throws curve balls and the nature of accidents is that you have no control over when, how or why they occur. As a cleaner, you’re entrusted with the keys to someone’s home and responsible for polishing and buffing up all their worldly goods. So it’s worth looking for policy extensions that also cover you for:
- Damage to customer property (bear in mind this cover typically excludes items being worked upon when the accident happened)
- Failure to secure customers’ homes
- Legal defence costs if damage or injury was caused by your staff
What other insurance may I need?
You may also want to consider getting additional covers to protect you from:
- Loss of customers’ keys resulting in the need for locks to be replaced
- Financial loss suffered by customers (if your employees had an urge to use a customer’s phone to call their second cousin in Australia for an hour) or theft of goods from customers’ homes by your employees