Insurance for gardeners

Gardeners’ public liability insurance

As a gardener, you’re used to the changing of the seasons – whether that means you’re pruning trees before winter or mowing lawns in summertime. But one thing that never changes is the need to protect your business with the right insurance cover.

Public liability insurance for gardeners is a policy that provides cover in case you cause any injuries or damage any property during your gardening work. It's one of a number of types of insurance that should be considered by gardeners.

What types of insurance does a gardener need?

You need to make sure you protect your gardening business with the right insurance cover. This could include:

Public liability insurance. This can cover compensation and legal costs if someone else is injured or their property is damaged because of your work.

Employers’ liability insurance. This is a legal requirement if you employ one or more people. It can protect you against compensation and legal costs if someone is injured or becomes ill as a result of working for you.

Tools insurance. Covers the cost of repairing or replacing your tools and equipment if they’re stolen or damaged.

Commercial van insurance. This can cover you if you use your van to carry your gardening tools, mowers or other equipment for business use.

Frequently asked questions

What if I’m self-employed?

If you’re a self-employed gardener, you might also want to consider taking out the following types of cover to protect your income or business if something happens to you:

Why would I need public liability insurance if I work alone?

If you’re a gardener, you might think there’s no chance of any accidents or property damage occurring when you’re working outside on your own. But what would happen if a member of the public tripped over equipment you’d left on a pavement, or a client's car got damaged while you were strimming, for example?  

You need to make sure that you have the means to pay for a claim without bankrupting your business, and this is where public liability insurance can be invaluable.

What is employers’ liability cover for gardeners?

While many gardeners work alone, if you do employ other people to help you, it's a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance, even if you just have one employee who works part time. If you don't have it when you should, you can be fined £2,500 each day you’re without the proper cover.  

One exception is if the people employed are direct family members, for example, your parent, spouse or child. Another exception can be if your employee works from abroad, but you need to check whether the law in the country where they’re based requires you to take out insurance. This may seem an unlikely situation if you're a gardener, but it may be that you employ a remote-working accountant or garden designer, for example. 

Employers’ liability cover protects you if an employee hurts themselves or becomes ill because they carried out work for you.

After you take out a policy, you need to make sure that you keep up to date with health-and-safety-at-work regulations. If you don’t, it might invalidate your cover. 

According to the Labour Force Survey for 2019/2020, 693,000 workers in the UK suffered non-fatal injuries at work. As much as you try to create safe conditions for your employees, the fact is that sometimes accidents do happen. 

What about commercial van insurance?

Your van is likely to be crucial to your gardening business, so think carefully when you choose your van insurance policy. You may be tempted to go for the cheapest third-party cover, but could your business continue without your van?

Also look at possible add-ons to your van policy, like contents cover for your tools and equipment.

Do gardeners need tools and equipment cover?

Gardening tools don’t come cheap. The costs of replacing a mower, chainsaw or hedge trimmer if they are damaged or stolen could be extremely high. 

If your tools are stolen, not only will you need to replace them, but you might not be able to do your work in the meantime. That means you might not be able to earn money and could even lose clients. Having cover for your equipment means you’d be able to replace your tools quickly, without having to spend heavily to get replacements (aside from paying any agreed policy excess). 

Remember, if you carry your tools around in your own car or van, you need to make sure they’re covered in the vehicle, too. Some van insurance policies may contain exclusions that mean you’re not protected. For example, if you leave your tools in your van overnight. That’s why it’s worth checking your policy to make sure your tools are covered at all times.

What other types of insurance might I need for a gardening business?

As you know, there’s more to gardening than just mowing lawns. You might be a landscape gardener or run a nursery, as well as offering gardening services.

That’s why you need insurance tailored to your specific business.

  • Hired-in plant insurance can cover equipment you’ve hired against damage or theft while they’re in your care.
  • Professional indemnity insurance can cover you against compensation costs if a customer is unhappy with your work or believes you to be negligent, causing them a financial loss.
  • If you also run a nursery, you might want to consider commercial property insurance as well as cover for your stock.

How do I find the right gardeners’ insurance?

We'll help you find the right gardeners’ public liability or other business insurance quickly, so you can spend more time outside doing what you do best. 

Just provide us with some details about you, your business and the cover you need, and we’ll do the rest. We’ll show you quotes from a range of trusted insurance providers in minutes, and you choose the policy that's right for you. 

See how much you could save on your gardeners’ insurance policy with Comparethemarket.

What do I need to get a quote?

To get a quote, you’ll need to give us some details about you and your business, such as:

  • your trade
  • your business and home address
  • years you’ve been in business
  • employees
  • the type of work you do
  • your claims history
  • your cover options

Once we have the information we need, we’ll send you a list of suitable quotes to compare.

Author image Emily Kindness

What our expert says...

"Accidents can easily happen, especially when working outside in changeable conditions, so make sure you protect yourself with the right insurance cover. Shopping around and comparing a range of quotes could be a great way to save money on your business insurance.

But searching for all the different types of cover you may need for your gardening business can be time-consuming. Our search tool provides you with a quick, easy way to tailor your cover, so you can find the right business insurance in a matter of minutes."

- Emily Kindness, Business insurance expert

Why use Comparethemarket?

Get a business insurance quote in minutes

Rated 4.8/5 on Trustpilot[1]

Start a quote


[1] As of January 2023 Compare the Market had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 23,670 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’.