Compare business gas suppliers
Compare gas suppliers & save money on your bills
Why switch business gas?
There are three main reasons people might switch business gas suppliers.
- Save money. Most of us know that switching gas supplier at home is a great opportunity to save. Switching your business gas supplier is just the same – the right tariff could save your business hundreds of pounds.
- Get better service. Does the deal you’ve currently got give you the service you want? If you’ve ever needed customer support, were you happy with the experience?
- Reflect your business ethos. Would switching to a green energy provider be more in line with your company’s values?
Looking for Meerkat Meals or Meerkat Movies?
Business gas is not a qualifying product; however, compare prices now and find the right deal for you.
Frequently asked questions
How does switching business gas work?
Much like switching your home supply, it takes very little effort from you. When you compare with us you complete a few questions, and we’ll show you a list of business gas quotes that suit your needs. Then you choose a quote that suits you and apply online.
Your new supplier organises all the details of the switch. There’s no disruption to your supply and there’s no groundwork to be done because suppliers use the same pipes to deliver your gas. You will need to do a few things, such as pay off outstanding bills, arrange for credit to be paid back to you and take a final meter reading. You'll get reminders that you need to do this, to save you the worry of remembering in your already busy schedule.
But remember, you can’t switch to a new business energy deal until your current one expires. And you can’t sign up with a new supplier until your switching window opens - usually between one to six months before your contract end dates.
Don’t worry if you don’t know when your switching window begins. When you switch with us, we keep on top of this and compare the right business energy deals on your behalf, so you can get on with running your business.
Follow the steps below:
- Type in your postcode to compare business energy insurance quotes, so we can find you the right deal.
- After answering a couple of questions online, you’ll receive a quick call from one of our energy experts, who can help you find the right business gas rates to suit your company.
- Once you select the right business gas deal for your company, we can sort out everything else.
Can I switch suppliers if my business gas is supplied by independent gas transporter (IGT)?
Around 1 million properties in the UK are on IGTs, smaller networks linked to the main ones.
You can still compare business gas suppliers and switch if your gas comes via an IGT rather than the National Grid. However, switching may take slightly longer.
Because IGTs are few and far between, standing charges are usually more expensive – which means your overall tariff may cost more. If your supply comes via an IGT the quotes you receive won’t include any extra IGT charges – you’ll need to add these on top of the tariff price you see. Some of the larger gas suppliers will absorb those additional standing charges, but it’s worth checking before you sign on the dotted line.
What happens once I switch business gas suppliers?
Your new supplier will send details of when the changeover will take place, as well as provide other information such as agreed payment method and dates. It’s your responsibility to check that the details are correct.
Your old supplier will ask you for a meter reading on the day of the switch so that they can send an accurate final bill.
Business customers aren’t usually eligible for a cooling off period (unlike domestic customers) so always make sure you’re 100% happy with your new tariff.
Will my gas meter need to be replaced?
Not usually. If your meter is a standard one, then it won’t need to be changed.
What rate of VAT should I be charged for my business gas?
Most businesses will pay the standard rate of 20% VAT for their gas. However, if you don’t use much gas (less than 4,397kWh per month – you can find this on your bill) or you run a charity or not-for-profit organisation, then you could be eligible to a 15% reduction in VAT. If this sounds like your business, speak to your gas supplier and ask for a VAT declaration form.
What affects business gas prices?
Commercial gas prices can change quickly and in real time depending on several factors – wholesale price just being one of them. Other things that affect the cost of gas include supply and demand, currency prices and of course, regulator fees and government levies.
Most businesses opt for fixed rate tariffs, which means you’ll know that you are protected from potential price rises if energy costs go up and variable rates are increased during your fixed rate period.
What business gas providers can I compare with Compare the Market?
- Axis Telecom
- Bristol Energy
- British Gas
- Extra Energy
- Simple Gas
- Total Gas & Power
- United Gas and Power
- Xcel Energy
- Yorkshire Gas and Power
What's green business gas?
Green gas is sourced from environmentally sustainable sources – such as plants or animal waste. Unlike green electricity, environmentally friendly gas is still in its infancy and isn’t always an option depending on where your business is located (which is why we’ll ask you for your postcode). It's also worth noting, that some experts disagree on how green energy is not always green, when you go back to basics and calculate what's involved in the overall process of creating the energy. You may want to do your own research on how environmentally friendly the different suppliers are.
If using green gas isn’t a practical option, you could choose a supplier that gets involved in environmental projects or gives money to support them.
What do I need to switch business gas?
Comparing business gas is quick and easy. All the information you need to compare quotes can be found on a recent gas bill, such as:
- your existing supplier’s name
- your business premises postcode
- end date of your current contract
- gas consumption
- meter number
If you don’t know where to find all of these details, read our guide to understanding your energy bill.
We’ll bring back a range of quotes for you to choose from. You can even filter the results to find your perfect match.
Follow the steps below:
- Enter the postcode of your business. Using smart digital data, we can then access everything we need to give you a quote.
- Experts from our business energy provider, Bionic, will analyse the market to help you find the energy tariff to suit your needs and give you a brief call to discuss it.
- Should you choose to switch energy providers, you can rely on Bionic to look after everything for you, including future renewals.